Temp 77.9
SG 35pt
Ph 8.3 (mid day)
Alk 11
NO3 <5
PO4 0
Ca 460
Mg 1470

My numbers have been pretty steady except for the fact that Alk jumped a couple of points in the past week. It had pretty consistently been at 9 and never less. What is interesting is that I have two API test kits for Alk that are both in date but one is newer. I have been using the old one that reads 9 and the newer one reads 11 so maybe my Alk has been higher all along. I recently started adding kalk to my top off water but only at 1 teaspoon per gallon which I think is 1/2 of the saturation point and the Ca went up 20 points. I do weekly 10% water changes with Fritz RMP salt which has Ca 400-450, Mg 1350-1450 and Alk 8-9 dkH. Maybe I can stop the kalk and see if it makes any difference.

mcgyvr
09/29/2017, 12:18 PM
Check/learn yourself..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Is your tank new? why are you dosing kalk at this point?
Why aren't you attempting to maintain levels consistent with your salt mix? (but see next sentence as this statement assumed that 11dkh is correct but I doubt it is)

Since your salt mix is 8-9 per Fritz I'd go off the 9 being the correct alk vs 11 unless you are increasing alk with the kalk which again isn't a good idea..

You dose when water changes alone are not sufficient to keep the parameters you decide to maintain stable because corals,etc.. are consuming it faster than water changes are replenishing it.. plain and simple..
Until you have sufficient consumption I would not recommend dosing..

JTL
09/29/2017, 12:45 PM
Good point. I don't think the minimal amount of lime water I am adding is changing much but I am going to let it go for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. I am still puzzled by the tests results, I would have thought the newer one would be better. Maybe not. I am going to order another one just to be safe. I want the measurements to be accurate. Overall I think the params are pretty good.

Obtw I have read the article before more than once over the years. Some people like higher Alk, Ca and Mg than Randy therefore I like to post questions. Same goes for water changes, filter socks, additives and the list goes on.

bertoni
09/29/2017, 05:41 PM
Those numbers are fine as is. I don't see any need to add Kalk at this point. When the alkalinity starts dropping measurably, you could add Kalk back into the mix.

As far as your testing problems, we see a lot of reports like yours in this forum. I don't know which kit, if either, is correct, but 9-11 dKH is fine. The recommended range is 7-11 dKH, and I'd probably target something like 7.5-8 dKH if I had the choice of how to design a salt mix, but most tanks are fine anywhere in the 7-11 dKH zone. Some tanks that are running with carbon dosing have SPS problems if the alkalinity is much over 8-9 dKH.