PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser dosing

Ejb
09/29/2017, 02:10 PM
Alrighty so I have a couple questions on this. If I use this with my tunze osmolator reservoir do I have to mix it and let it settle for a day before use? Also after mixing and starting to use it do I have to wait for the entire reservoir to deplete before mixing up another batch, and would I have to clean the container after its depleted?

In the end if I have to wait a day before use should I get another container for the reservoir?

Ejb
09/29/2017, 05:30 PM
Also when dosing, you would need super consistent levels with each water change (alk, calc, mag, ph) correct?

zsuman101
09/29/2017, 07:52 PM
i mix kalk the day before , let it settle, then i siphon the clear liquid only into my ato tank. this way the pump wont die in a week. and yes your other parameters need to be steady. if your alk , mg, and ca are balanced your ph should be fine. although even clear kalk will boost your ph. good luck n stuff... zsu

Ejb
09/29/2017, 07:54 PM
Tbh that is probably the best advice I have gotten from the internet. I never thought about doing it that way, thank you for the advice

Ejb
09/29/2017, 08:09 PM
Quick question though, if the ato runs low can I just keep it up with the clear kalk water if using the same measurements? Like for example my ato (5g) is running low and I need to replace the water with another 5g mixed kalk container and just use the clear water will things be fine as long as I use the same amount of kalk to water?

no1bubba
10/01/2017, 04:07 PM
Is this correct... 1 gal water add 2tsp Kalk add that gallon to my 10 gal ATO res. Filled with 9 gal of rodi water. DT is 69 gal

45commando
10/01/2017, 10:36 PM
Alrighty so I have a couple questions on this. If I use this with my tunze osmolator reservoir do I have to mix it and let it settle for a day before use? Also after mixing and starting to use it do I have to wait for the entire reservoir to deplete before mixing up another batch, and would I have to clean the container after its depleted?

In the end if I have to wait a day before use should I get another container for the reservoir?

I dose kalk for all my top off using a Tunze Osmolator, but I use a DIY kalk reactor in line. The reactor is a standard 10" water filter housing that has a quick mod & is hooked up in reverse (so the RO/DI water enters the bottom of the canister & passes through the kalk, so only clear saturated solution is fed as top off). You'll still need a fresh water reservoir to feed the reactor, but it sure beats making batches of kalk. I try to evaporate 2+ gallons a day & would be mixing kalk constantly if not using a reactor of some sort. HTH

45commando
10/01/2017, 10:58 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0mq3SHF.jpg to give you an idea, here's my DIY Kalk reactor, if pic works