PDA

View Full Version : Which test kit to trust?

MTF7
09/29/2017, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone kind of in crisis mode right now, I have a 15g nano which I was running some tests on the tank last night and I noticed my phosphates were high.

I was using seachem phosphate test kit and ran to pickup a salifert test kit today here are my test results.

Seachem
from DT water - .2-.5
from RODI water - .1-.5

Salifert
from DT water between 0 and .03
From RODI water 0

I do have some spots where algae is growing but I have not seen a boom in algae growth, and the growth might also be related to my long lighting schedule.
I have some green staghorn which has actually come back from STN, coloring up, and has been growing quite fast and has amazing polyp extension and generally everything else in the tank looks great too

zsuman101
09/29/2017, 07:01 PM
personally i have never been able to get a reading other than zero with saliferts p04 test, with that said i didn't trust it so i got a red sea pro and a nyos kit, and wouldn't you know it... i actually got a reading. since then the only salifert test kit i trust is the magnesium kit. fwiw i trust the red sea pro kits and have them all. good luck... zsu ,btw the p04 reading out of rodi sounds fishy to me,

jda
09/29/2017, 09:30 PM
I would trust Salifert over SeaChem. If P is something that you want to be on top of, then get the Hannah Checker - they have regular and low reading checkers - you get a number instead of a color.

Tripod1404
09/30/2017, 01:09 AM
Yeah I prefer ultra low range Hanna checker. They do hell of a job for a relatively cheap equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk