PDA

View Full Version : Baby flame angel not eating

Rilelen
09/29/2017, 04:12 PM
I got a new flame angel from LA - juvenile, less than an inch, Marshall/Christmas Islands - last week....after picking on the rock for a week, she's still showing no interest in frozen mysis, Rod's food, or spirulina brine shrimp (or NLS pellets or flakes). She's clearly losing weight (and doesn't have a lot of weight to lose) - she does still picks at the rocks here and there; it's a 4yo tank so the live rock has lots to pick at (pods, etc), but clearly not enough to sustain her.

She's not showing any interest at all in the frozen (i.e., not even attempting to chase when it goes near her). I've tried target feeding, but she just becomes enveloped in a cloud of food that she completely ignores.

Any suggestions on how to get her eating? I don't think she can go many more days without eating.

rvareef
09/29/2017, 04:36 PM
mine likes formula one flake food

humaguy
09/29/2017, 05:08 PM
try shaving it down...a week is nothing, she may need to get comfy. is she being bothered? a 72 is too small, long term, and any of your fish could be bothering a tiny flame.

Rilelen
09/29/2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks for chiming in, humaguy, I know you know your baby angels! I'll try shaving it down, for sure.

I don't think she's being bothered, but I'll watch more closely - I actually haven't seen any fish in her area of the tank at all, it's not an area where they usually hang out. It's a very peaceful tank in general; I have one territorial clown goby, but he stays exclusively in a different part of the tank (i.e., upper right hand quadrant) from where the little flame has been hanging out (i.e., lower left hand quadrant). There's a large cave in that quadrant; she stays half in the cave, half out (there's a couple entrances and she circles in and out of them), but hasn't ventured out of that general "corner" of the tank, an area about 2' x 1'.

I'm moving in about 8 months, and rather than trying to move the 72g, am planning to upgrade to a new larger tank at that time. I've been tentatively looking at a set-up for a 180; would that be sufficient long-term, you think?

humaguy
09/29/2017, 06:18 PM
cool, shave down the spir brine, she should go for that. I use an oyster knife and just thinly slice a small piece of the brine. you can do same with frozen pe mysis, the fat would do her good.
lol, bigger, is always better... good luck, esp with the move!

ted

Sense of nature
09/30/2017, 09:32 AM
U try Nori( dried seaweed)?

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:33 AM
Did you quarantine first?

ReefMaster48
10/06/2017, 12:42 PM
72 to small for a flame angel??

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 12:45 PM
72 to small for a flame angel??

I have read some experts states a minimum 90 gallon. IMO, I think you will be ok. IMO, recently I think the Flame are becoming less and less hardier.

Dmorty217
10/06/2017, 03:55 PM
cool, shave down the spir brine, she should go for that. I use an oyster knife and just thinly slice a small piece of the brine. you can do same with frozen pe mysis, the fat would do her good.
lol, bigger, is always better... good luck, esp with the move!

ted

+1 I would follow Ted's advise... especially when it comes to angels

brett559
10/06/2017, 04:00 PM
+1 I would follow Ted's advise... especially when it comes to angels

He's back! Tank update!!!! :lmao:

lespaul339
10/11/2017, 10:47 AM
Try some clams. I get 'em from the grocery store already out of the shell and rubber band them to a pice of live rick. Might entice it to start eating. Also, if you have some selcon that might help as well.