PDA

View Full Version : Help with Potters Angel Swimming Pattern

jmc1024
09/29/2017, 07:22 PM
Hello All,
I was hoping to get some options regarding my Potters Angel. I've had him for about 12 days in qt. He is currently nn the 2nd dose of prazi. When I fist got him he had some head shakes which I tough might be flukes. Since the prazi that's gone away. I don't really see him eating but I have a lot of algae in the tank and I have seen him poop twice so he must be getting something.

What worries me is that he seems to be swimming a lot with his head up. Sometimes he swims vertical but most times his head is pointed upwards. Also he seems to be using a lot of his body to swim, he doesn't seem to be gliding though the water like my Flame. Is this normal for a Potters? Or maybe an issue? Was hoping to get some experienced reefers options.

JustinM
09/29/2017, 08:33 PM
Sounds like swim bladder to me. This is usually caused by constipation but you said you've seen him go to the bathroom. When did you last see him use the bathroom?

A few things to help with swim bladder would be feeding cooked peas, raising the temp to speed up metabolism. I would watch him for a few more days and see if he corrects himself. It usually does clear up on their own.

jmc1024
09/29/2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I saw him go a few days ago, Was totally green. Think he was picking on either cheato or nori I put in the tank. He's not eating much. IN fact I never see him eat. So you think I should try to feed him some cooked peas? The temp is already at 80. I've read that potter's don't like it too warm.

JustinM
09/29/2017, 09:04 PM
Well the water temp in Hawaii is around 82 so I don't think 80 is too bad. If he is constipated the peas will definitely help.

Potters may take a few weeks to get eating. Just keep offering him algae and eventually they will go for food. Mine was the same way, except it swam normal.