PDA

View Full Version : Can I acclimate an entire tank?

five.five-six
09/30/2017, 08:12 AM
I'm makeing a small upgrade from a biocube 29 to a 135 gallon peninsula, See my build thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647843&page=7).

Yesterday I did. 30 gallon WC on the 135 and kept the water and every few hrs I am doing a 5 gallon water change wit that water on the 29.

Once I have done all 6 15% water changes on the biocube, assuming the temp has been matched, will it be safe to just transfer fish and corral from one tank to the other?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/30/2017, 08:24 AM
What's the status of the big tank? Does it have any bacterial population established (from a cycle or transfer of good live rock or sand)?

In terms of matching salinity and temperature for the sake of not immediately killing livestock, that sounds like an OK plan. But that doesn't really tell us if the big tank is "ready" for the fish or not.

five.five-six
09/30/2017, 08:26 AM
Big tank has been running for over a month, chromisis in 3 weeks go. All the rock and sand from the 29BC will be transfered as well.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/30/2017, 08:32 AM
I'm a little confused about exactly what your water change procedure is. Are you just swapping water between the two tanks? Or putting new water in the big tank, and old big tank water in the small tank?

Either way, it sounds like the animals in the small tank are getting regular additions of the big tank water, which is the goal. Assuming you match temp and salinity, this sounds like a good plan and is similar to what I've done many times when swapping tanks. Although I don't usually do as complete of a job as your 6 WCs at 15% each - I'd probably do 2 or 3 at 10 or 20% each and call it good.

Honestly, as long as temp and salinity match, and nothing else is crazy out of bounds, you're really over-doing it. But there's nothing wrong with that. The real key in a tank transfer is getting the new tank stable from a biological standpoint. If the big tank has already had some fish in it for a while, and you're moving some (healthy, clean) rock, you're all set.

Moving the sand from the smaller tank is questionable, though. Unless it's either relatively new, or very clean, it'll probably just make a huge mess and spike your nutrients. If the big tank has been cycled for a few small fish and you're moving rock, you don't need the biological benefit the sand would bring. I would probably toss it - or maybe just move a cup or two.

five.five-six
09/30/2017, 09:10 AM
There is a 32 gallon brute full of water from the big tank WC sitting next to the small tank, I'm doing small tank WCs from that water.

The small tank has been up about 4-5 months. The sand is prety new.

premilove
09/30/2017, 09:18 AM
I'm a little confused about exactly what your water change procedure is. Are you just swapping water between the two tanks? Or putting new water in the big tank, and old big tank water in the small tank?

Either way, it sounds like the animals in the small tank are getting regular additions of the big tank water, which is the goal. Assuming you match temp and salinity, this sounds like a good plan and is similar to what I've done many times when swapping tanks. Although I don't usually do as complete of a job as your 6 WCs at 15% each - I'd probably do 2 or 3 at 10 or 20% each and call it good.

Honestly, as long as temp and salinity match, and nothing else is crazy out of bounds, you're really over-doing it. But there's nothing wrong with that. The real key in a tank transfer is getting the new tank stable from a biological standpoint. If the big tank has already had some fish in it for a while, and you're moving some (healthy, clean) rock, you're all set.

Moving the sand from the smaller tank is questionable, though. Unless it's either relatively new, or very clean, it'll probably just make a huge mess and spike your nutrients. If the big tank has been cycled for a few small fish and you're moving rock, you don't need the biological benefit the sand would bring. I would probably toss it - or maybe just move a cup or two.

+1. I wouldn't bring over the sand. It will do more harm than good. 1 or 2 cups is more than enough. I don't see the point of doing water changes every 6 or so hours. If you insist on doing water changes, 10-20% a week for a few weeks and you're good. But TBH, as der_wille_zur_macht said, you're over doing it. Just start drip acclimating your fish and corals now and transfer them over to the 135.

malacoda
09/30/2017, 12:01 PM

+1 As long as the 135 has developed enough bacteria to handle the added bio load, all you should have to do is match the salinity and temp between the two tanks and your livestock should be able to added to their new home without any problems. Anything more is really just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

kuzko
09/30/2017, 03:36 PM
With this procedure you're more or less only acclimating the 135 gallon water to the biocube when you do your water changes. It's going to dilute to the biocube's parameters and will still be adjusting towards the biochemistry of that particular tank (mineral deposits from LR/sand, biofilter from the back chambers, etc). If you want to acclimate the biocube to the 135 gallon you need to do it the way we acclimate everything... By taking the livestock over to the tank, floating for 10-15 minutes, and do whatever kind of acclimation you are most comfortable with (float/drip/etc). That being said - you still need to make sure the 135 is ready for it. I would not be moving any sand over - disturbing sand beds can be kind of gross depending on how deep it is and can do more harm than good. Rocks can be moved if you really want/need to - but if it's for the expectation of establishing the biofilter it will not be much if any faster than dosing stability for a week.

Just my 2 cents.