PDA

View Full Version : scared to cure dry rock with bleach, please advise :)

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 07:37 AM
Hi,
I'm about to set up fresh a new 108 gallon tank. I'm likely going to use ry rock from reefrocks.net . I am thinking of using the bleach method to cure it. However I'm very nervous about this, even though I would use a dechlor after curing. Reason is that I have had major issues with chloramine in my previous set up (leaching through from my RO/DI, burning out the carts really fast without me knowing it). I know chlorine is not same as chloramine.

I'm nervous about any residual chlorine being somehow in the rocks, of it reacting with the rock, etc and sticking in it somehow, just creating something that will be a pain in the future. I'm also nervous about using the dechlor itself and if that will have any negative effect later on the tank, even though I would thouroughly rinse the rocks off with RO DI water. I would rinse them in RO DI and soak and rinse, soak and rinse a few times over.

I know i'm being a hyperchondriac most likely, but I have already had issues with my past tank (solved) and do not want something like that again.

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 07:39 AM
There is no reason to bleach or cure rock from reefrocks....dump right in the tank and start the cycle.

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 07:43 AM
great news lol :) .... Now I'm thinking of adding some branchy rock for some variety from BRS probably. But I will start off with an order from reefrocks .
I assume same thing with the sand? Just rinse with RODI or with Salt water?

Thanks!

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 07:46 AM
Does steve have the sand still?.. the site has shown it out of stock for years now...but when he did have it yes the same aplied...its super clean stuff ... i didnt even rinse

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 07:47 AM
I was going to call him and see. If it's out, it's out.. I'll get a bag of Carib sea sugar sand or oolitic I think. Does that need to be cured? Thanks!

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 07:52 AM
I would suggest against sugar /oo unless for a dsb..because it blows around too easy...get dry caribsea special grade and all you do there is rinse well..and put it in the tank then fill with water and go

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 07:54 AM
awesome :) .. b/c I have to start this tank from total scratch, so the sooner I can get up and going the better. No using rock I have from my last tank, nothing!
Thanks!

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 10:13 AM
**as far as the oolitic.. I used it a long time ago on a previous tank from the last one. I avoided the issue of sand storms by 'curing' the sand. I put it in a large vat, with salt water, added some mysis shrimp. I tihnk it was a week,and the grains had a coat of bacteria that weight them down enough to not blow around in current. Any other reason to not use it?

tkeracer619
09/30/2017, 10:47 AM
There is no reason to use bleach on dry rock unless it is covered in organics. It will help break down the organics. But is easy to remove. Once dried completely it is safe.

I like small grain sand since it makes ripples in the sand with good current. Downside is it blows around.

It can take a while for dry rock and sand without a seed to cure. I would dose the tank with a bio-spira and ammonia or similar product. It will help speed it up.

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 12:40 PM
In general the finer the sand the "better" as long as its not blowing around..
No need to cure the sand by itself though as that bacteria coat will develop anyways just from being in a tank during a normal cycle.. (I always associate "curing" as being done outside the display tank)

If you haven't had an issue in the past then you must run less flow than many..

CTaylor
09/30/2017, 01:26 PM
back then it's possible I didn thave enough flow. It was my 65 I just got rid of with two tunze 6100.10. I forget the GPH .. maybe 1800?? It didnt blow around. So I dont know if that wasnt enough flow or if my rock work just made the flow not blow it around.