PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

t_fins
09/30/2017, 08:12 AM
Iím battling and fighting but canít seem to fix my problems. Biocube 29 has been up and running for 4 months. Iím fully cycled and have a few fish and corals and CUC. I had my initial algae bloom then it went away. Now I have cyano and a little green algae. It was mostly on sand and I syphoned the sand and made three water changes. Now itís still there but spread to the rocks. My nitrates are at 20 or so and my phosphate is about .25. I donít know what else to do? I tried phosguard and itís not work. (I run filter floss, Phosguard and chemipure in media basket) Iíve also syphoned so much sand I need to add a little more.

Should I try a chemiclean or other cyano remover?
Should I remove rocks and scrub the algae off?
Can I add a few cups of sand?
Increase CUC?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thx

hipertec
09/30/2017, 08:24 AM
I'm battling the same but with green hair algae in my Evo 13.5G tank. Following thread and hope someone can help.

Goss
09/30/2017, 10:58 AM
I would let it run its course. It sounds like your tank is not dealing with excess nutrients very well so it is allowing the algae to fill the void. What filtration are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeachVacationer
09/30/2017, 11:06 AM
Well, your phosphate is way too high. Do some big WCs to get it to 0.03pm and use GFO to keep it low. Then algae should start receeding. Good luck, that's how I beat it.

t_fins
09/30/2017, 12:39 PM
I would let it run its course. It sounds like your tank is not dealing with excess nutrients very well so it is allowing the algae to fill the void. What filtration are you using?

Currently using an InTank media basket with Filter Floss/Phosguard/Chemipure Elite

t_fins
09/30/2017, 12:40 PM
Well, your phosphate is way too high. Do some big WCs to get it to 0.03pm and use GFO to keep it low. Then algae should start receeding. Good luck, that's how I beat it.

I know. Iíve been running phosguard and doing weekly 25% water changes. What other remedies are there?

Ejb
09/30/2017, 02:52 PM
What kind of fish? Maybe cut back on feeding. Gfo like the other person said. If your consistently doing weekly water changes and your nitrates and phosphates are still up at that range I would say its an over feeding problem.

Goss
09/30/2017, 02:57 PM
Change the filter floss and suck out the chamber that holds it when you do your next water change

BeachVacationer
09/30/2017, 03:11 PM
The remedy is get your phosphate to 0.03ppm or lower asap.

t_fins
09/30/2017, 04:13 PM
What kind of fish? Maybe cut back on feeding. Gfo like the other person said. If your consistently doing weekly water changes and your nitrates and phosphates are still up at that range I would say its an over feeding problem.

A maroon clown and a Valentini puffer. Those are my only two fish. I feed frozen once a day. But lately Iím feeding every other day to lessen waste.

t_fins
09/30/2017, 04:14 PM
Change the filter floss and suck out the chamber that holds it when you do your next water change

I did that today during water change

jlmawp
09/30/2017, 11:20 PM
Are you blowing off the rocks and/or siphoning your substrate on a regular basis? That can really help with nutrient export. Blowing the rocks with a turkey vaster can help get a bunch of crud out could be adding to your nutrient problem.

t_fins
10/01/2017, 06:18 PM
Are you blowing off the rocks and/or siphoning your substrate on a regular basis? That can really help with nutrient export. Blowing the rocks with a turkey vaster can help get a bunch of crud out could be adding to your nutrient problem.

I do the rocks a few times a week. I syphon the sand every water change

t_fins
10/01/2017, 06:23 PM
So I did a large water change yesterday. I also changed filter floss, phosguard, and added a new chemipure (elite this time as it has some GFO) and it looks a lot better. I also lessened the liffhrs one hour and add more flow(changed from wave1 to else mode/constant)Still can see a lot of algae on rocks but sand looks better and it’s not red now, more grey. My parameters are also a little better:

Nitrate ~0
Phosphate ~.10ppm
Calcium 360
dKH 8/KH 143.2 ppm

Any other suggestions? Should I do another water change earlier than a week?

jlmawp
10/01/2017, 07:50 PM
A lot of water changes are only a good thing in this situation, but that's not a sustainable solution to the problem at this rate. There are extra phosphates in there for one or a combo of a few possible reasons: too much food, too much detritus in the tank, or it's locked up inside your rock/sand. If it's been hanging around even after all the siphoning and water changes, I'm going to put my money on the feedings. Nitrates are undetectable, which is awesome, but that algae isn't going anywhere until you get phosphates down to .03ish like Beach said. They love them some phosphates.

That said, down to .1 is encouraging from .25. Keep at it.

Agostinone
10/02/2017, 11:46 PM
What's your water source? I was using the RO/carbon system that supplies drinking water at our sink. Used it for years and for years I was always fighting algae of some form or another. Started getting my water from the big commercial water machine at the natural groceries and installed a BRS GFO/carbon canister filter and that was the end of my algae issues. Made the hobby fun again and water changes are so much easier since I'm not spending an extra hour trying to get the algae out.

t_fins
10/03/2017, 05:27 AM
What's your water source? I was using the RO/carbon system that supplies drinking water at our sink. Used it for years and for years I was always fighting algae of some form or another. Started getting my water from the big commercial water machine at the natural groceries and installed a BRS GFO/carbon canister filter and that was the end of my algae issues. Made the hobby fun again and water changes are so much easier since I'm not spending an extra hour trying to get the algae out.

Iíve been using distilled. I want to buy a RODI system but need to save up as itís not in the budget at the moment.

jlmawp
10/03/2017, 09:06 AM
Iíve been using distilled. I want to buy a RODI system but need to save up as itís not in the budget at the moment.

Ahhh ok, well that makes more sense. Sounds like we found the problem.