PDA

View Full Version : Green spots... Coraline or algae ?

JohnPaulR
09/30/2017, 10:04 AM
Hi,
I have a fully cycled biocube 32g. It has 3 fish ( 2 clowns, and a coral yeasty angel fish) with 3 corals ( acan, zoos, and a elegance coral ) which are growing nicely. But I've noticed some green spots on my live rock. They don't rub off. But just want to double check.

Pics:
https://m.imgur.com/a/TlIHq

JohnPaulR
09/30/2017, 10:06 AM
https://imgur.com/a/TlIHq
This link for the pics work ☝��
The other one doesn't

billdogg
09/30/2017, 01:19 PM
Coraline in usually in the pink to purple range. Probably algae.

On a unrelated note - 2 maroon clowns in a 32g tank? You will have difficulty (nearly impossible, in fact) adding other fish. In 6 months, you won't be able to put your hand in without being attacked. And they will draw blood.

If you can, I would consider returning them and picking something more suitable for that size tank.

jm.02

And yes, I speak from experience - I had one maroon in a 60 cube - beautiful fish, loved it's host anemone. And the day it got me I about jumped outa my skin.

JohnPaulR
09/30/2017, 01:54 PM
I was told this could all be in the tank by my lfs and other hobbiest on this forum. And I know that coraline comes in many different colors. If it's is algea what type. Because it doesn't move like gha but idk I could be wrong.

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 04:58 PM
Its likely just regular algae.. its common in a new tank..

JohnPaulR
09/30/2017, 05:40 PM
Do you know what type

jlmawp
10/01/2017, 12:01 AM
I'm with mcgyvr, that's not coralline algae. Coralline tends to grow in circular colonies, and this looks too bright of a green to be green coralline. Some algae just grows deep and doesn't rub off. I'm guessing since you said "fully cycled" that your tank is fairly new still. This is just algae. It'll come and go, but I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. It's all a part of your tank's maturing process, and obsessing over little spots like this will make you into a crazy person.

Coralfuture
10/01/2017, 01:29 AM
Its likely just regular algae.. its common in a new tank..

+1 looks like common algae not something I would be too worried about, I have something similar in my tank. I like how green it is but someone in my tank also seems to eat it the day it appears.

JohnPaulR
10/01/2017, 09:43 AM
Ok so this is a normal since I'm fairly new to the hobby. This doesn't mean that my tank didn't cycle correct or something right. I did do a ghost feeding for the cycle and watched the tank go through it's spikes and stuff in the cycle. Do you guys think the algea will go away over time?
Thanks for all the support
John

mcgyvr
10/01/2017, 01:43 PM
yes.. its totally normal.. it will go away over time.. (sometime just a couple weeks.. sometimes a month or 2)..
New tanks go through whats commonly referred to as the "ugly stages" where you get diatoms, green film and hair algae and even cyanobacteria.. and usually in that order..

They will all pass provided you just keep up with water changes as you should be (typically 20% every 2 weeks is a good starting point.. or 10% every week) and don't overfeed or anything else to cause a nutrient issue (excessive nitrate/phosphate levels and excessive other dissolved organics.)..

If you don't have any corals then its best to take away at least one of the fuels for them and thats light.. so don't run your lights anymore than you really need too..

But again.. all totally normal and will pass..