PDA

View Full Version : One vortech mp40 on tank?

MrApplebee
09/30/2017, 01:40 PM
My new tank is going to be 340 litres. (120cmx54cmx54cm)

The return pump is rated at 7500 to 15000 litres per hour. I have been reading up and the general consensus seems to be that the Vortech MP40 seems to be the best powerhead/wavemaker that you can get. They're pretty pricey though. Do you think I'll need one or two of these? Or does it just depend? As in, would I be better off buying one and see what the flow is like...

Cheers guys

Mike

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 01:47 PM
Why such a massive return pump?
In general 3-10x display volume is sufficient..

You don't need any powerheads if you use all that return pump power..

In general people shoot for 30-50x display size for total flow (return + powerheads) and some high flow SPS tanks run more (75x+)

MrApplebee
09/30/2017, 02:15 PM
Why such a massive return pump?
In general 3-10x display volume is sufficient..

You don't need any powerheads if you use all that return pump power..

In general people shoot for 30-50x display size for total flow (return + powerheads) and some high flow SPS tanks run more (75x+)

The return pump is the pump I used in my 1000 litre tropical set up. In your opinion should I get a smaller rated pump and combine that with a powerhead? Or should I stick with the pump I have and not bother with any additional powerheads. I'm guessing it will be better for making sure there's adequate current/flow all over the tank if I have an additional powerhead?

Thanks for the reply : )

mcgyvr
09/30/2017, 04:57 PM
Thats up to you..
Depending on the wattage of the pump you might save money in the long run by switching (probably take a long time on that return on investment though)..

You could do a spray bar setup and just run the return pump for the only flow too..

Or just get a smaller return pump and powerhead..

you've got options..