PDA

View Full Version : Hair Algae Problems

MarineBradUK
10/01/2017, 04:02 AM
Hi guys!

I'm having an ongoing issue with hair algae, where I harvest regularly, I've tried a couple of sea hares which seem to have eaten themselves to death and I'm using NoPoX to help reduce my nitrate levels.

My nitrates are still a bit high (around 16) but have stabilised and are coming down gradually thanks to the NoPoX.

Does any one have any ideas on what else I can do to help beat this? I'm unsure if changing my skimmer would work therefore any suggestions on replacements are greatly appreciated!

I've been using the NoPoX now for around 1.5 months, currently have a 400L reef aquarium with live rock in the display and sump, no corals, coral sand, stock include a coral beauty, clownfish, chalk white goby, 2 cleaner shrimp, sand sifting starfish.

Spagetti worms seem to be in my sand which I believe can be a useful addition to the clean up crew too.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James404
10/01/2017, 09:25 AM
Have you tried running some GFO in a reactor? What are your po4 levels?

MarineBradUK
10/01/2017, 09:28 AM
Hi James, I'm still new to some of the terms, what's GFO? Also, I don't have a reactor I was told it isn't a necessity - have I been ill advised? Also Po4 levels at 0.08.

James404
10/01/2017, 09:56 AM
Hi James, I'm still new to some of the terms, what's GFO? Also, I don't have a reactor I was told it isn't a necessity - have I been ill advised? Also Po4 levels at 0.08.

No worries, GFO is granular ferric oxide. It is used to reduce phosphates, and typically ran in a media reactor with slow flow.

If you continue to battle algae problems you might want to try running some. Another option would be to try growing some chaeto in your sump with a cheap grow light.

I would continue working on getting those nitrates down though.

MarineBradUK
10/01/2017, 10:00 AM
That's great thanks James, where would I get chaeto from? I have live rock in my second chamber of the sump, would it go with that?

James404
10/01/2017, 01:10 PM
That's great thanks James, where would I get chaeto from? I have live rock in my second chamber of the sump, would it go with that?

If you have any local reefers or clubs in your area, there's usually always someone getting rid of it. It grows very quick and people trim it often.

You can also look here on RC for someone selling it within shipping distance. You shouldn't have to pay much for it. Here in the US we might pay $15 for a big bag of it.

MarineBradUK
10/01/2017, 01:30 PM
That's brilliant thank you James. Am I best to grow it alongside the live rock in a fuge basket would you say or effectively loose in one chamber of the sump?

James404
10/01/2017, 01:58 PM
Loose in one chamber should be sufficient, ideally you want the ball of chaeto to kind of do a slow tumble with the flow.

SPR1968
10/05/2017, 11:04 AM
I would go down the GFO route and I personally use Rhowaphos in a Deltec fr509 reactor which you can easily get here in the UK. This is the single best thing I did with my tank in locking phosphate at around 0.03ppm or less, and I also use NoPox but it just wouldn't keep phosphate in check.

I had a hair algea problem in my Red Sea Max S 650 and the Rhowaphos slowed it right down and then I finally got rid of it with 2 doses of Vibrant liquid (Charterhouse sell it) over a period of 4 weeks. Worked almost instantly although I did loose 2 Elegance corals which didn't like it one bit. I have a full reef and nothing else was affected but there is a big thread on the elsewhere if you do minor research