PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer and Ozone

DENIZSEAMAR
10/01/2017, 05:12 AM
Hi Folks,
I have Reef Octopus Regal 250SSS for my 130g marine tank. I heard this skimmer is good for ozone usage. But it doesnt have any ozone connection point. So I put the air hose one of two air intake on silencer. After using 100 mg/h ozone , I noticed a black area at the bottom of silencer where I put the ozone hose,almost 1/4 inch. I took it off and clean the silencer and black spot gone. Is it normal?

FirstContact
10/01/2017, 06:57 PM
Not sure about black spots, but ozone tends to yellow acrylic and other stuff. I run ozone through an Avast Marine ozone reactor and post effluent chamber with carbon.

JohnnyHildo
10/01/2017, 08:23 PM
Not sure about black spots, but ozone tends to yellow acrylic and other stuff. I run ozone through an Avast Marine ozone reactor and post effluent chamber with carbon.
unfortunately it appears that Avast no longer even makes ozone reactor and has settled on just producing media reactors.
i'm interested in learning a little more about ozone but it definitely isn't a popular way to go by the limited availability of reactors.
i guess being you have experience running them what would be your next go-to reactor?

FirstContact
10/01/2017, 08:56 PM
Geos Reef makes a great ozone reactor. It seems more people are choosing UV these days.

HippieSmell
10/01/2017, 11:27 PM
Geos Reef makes a great ozone reactor. It seems more people are choosing UV these days.
Yes. I have an 80W UV plumbed directly before my skimmer feed. When I first turned it on, skimmer production easily doubled. I was impressed.

Arthur1
10/04/2017, 05:32 PM
Ozone to improve water clarity, UV when used properly, to control water born pathogens, single celled algae etc.

Arthur1
10/04/2017, 05:37 PM
Ozone is quite easy to administer and use, in my opinion, save yourself some money and make a reactor out of PVC, if not, use your skimmer. Last time that I used a reactor, I had made by Precision Marine, for a 300 gallon display aquarium with another 120ish gallons in filtration. If I could go back (just to save money), I would have just connected it to the venturi of the skimmer.

HippieSmell
10/04/2017, 08:30 PM
I think UV creates a small amount of ozone. That's why it's good to place immediately before the skimmer. I definitely noticed an increase in water clarity.