PDA

View Full Version : Is my kole tang going to die?

foxngn
10/01/2017, 09:30 AM
Hi Guys,

2 days ago i just purchased a kole tang, in the shop kole tang was very healthy, not skinny, the mouth i recall is not like that when i got him.

Yesterday it was still grazing algae off the rock, but when today i do a checking it was becoming something like this.
Today i saw him picking a bit from the glass that's all, it doesn't touch the seaweed i prepared. I'm not sure whether it takes pellets or not since i'm using timer & not inside the house as well.

https://i.imgur.com/ca7UQoD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9CKIRVA.jpg

Kardjunkie
10/01/2017, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys,

2 days ago i just purchased a kole tang, in the shop kole tang was very healthy, not skinny, the mouth i recall is not like that when i got him.

Yesterday it was still grazing algae off the rock, but when today i do a checking it was becoming something like this.

Today i saw him picking a bit from the glass that's all, it doesn't touch the seaweed i prepared. I'm not sure whether it takes pellets or not since i'm using timer & not inside the house as well.

https://i.imgur.com/ca7UQoD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9CKIRVA.jpg

I do not the have the ability via equipment to keep a tang, but have read a lot about them. From my understanding, they will graze all day on whatever they can find. I also believe a kole tang is more of scavenger or mixed diet compared to some other tangs that are more likely to graze on greens all day and that is it. Again all my interpretations of reading about them.

If you are worried he is starving, throw some pellets in while you are watching to see how he does. If he gobbles up pellets, he might not like seaweed, and prefers a different diet. They do have big lips and will graze off the glass.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxngn
10/01/2017, 09:57 AM
Hmm.. it just 2 days most probably still not getting used to the environment. But the things on its mouth is abit worried

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Kardjunkie
10/01/2017, 10:50 AM
Hmm.. it just 2 days most probably still not getting used to the environment. But the things on its mouth is abit worried

Sorry didnít notice the lip issue.

Looked up like tang abrasions to lip. Two major items come up. One damage from fighting, worm spikes, etc. second is a bacterial infection that needs antibiotic or vitamins. Google kole tang abrasions on lip, and you will find many pictures that look just like yours and articles to read.

Keep us up on the condition. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinM
10/01/2017, 11:13 AM
Kole tangs can be very aggressive while grazing algae and kissing the glass. It looks like he may have had damage done to kissing the glass too hard. Is he still eating without issue?

foxngn
10/01/2017, 06:30 PM
I don't really have enough time to observe that yet though, but it still stress from what I can see. It does swim around but just a few second and dash back to his hole

lagatbezan
10/01/2017, 08:13 PM
Kole tangs tend to be very skidding and shy when first acquired. As time goes by they will get more comfortable. Then they usually go all day grazing on the rocks, sand, glass and anything in the tank which can sometimes cause a litle damage or discoloration to their mouth and usually it's nothing to worry about as long as they are still eating and grazing and just keep an eye on it.
They are usually not that interested in eating seaweed from a clip (at least when they are new) since their mouths are not designed for chopping and ripping it like other tangs would.

foxngn
10/01/2017, 09:27 PM
Kole tangs tend to be very skidding and shy when first acquired. As time goes by they will get more comfortable. Then they usually go all day grazing on the rocks, sand, glass and anything in the tank which can sometimes cause a litle damage or discoloration to their mouth and usually it's nothing to worry about as long as they are still eating and grazing and just keep an eye on it.
They are usually not that interested in eating seaweed from a clip (at least when they are new) since their mouths are not designed for chopping and ripping it like other tangs would.

I heard of that too, about eating seaweed from clip, guess i'll try to stuck some of the rock work.

foxngn
10/03/2017, 10:14 PM
Updates: kole tang starting to get used to the environment. Can see it gazing alot on rocks, but haven't really see it taking pellets or seaweed. So far observe it is healthy.

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:14 AM
Try rubberbanding the Nori to a small rock and see how he does with that. I have known Kole and Tomini tangs not to eat Nori.

foxngn
10/18/2017, 09:28 AM
Try rubberbanding the Nori to a small rock and see how he does with that. I have known Kole and Tomini tangs not to eat Nori.It learnt how to eat from the clip already. ^^

Previously it's been battling with white spot as well, now he is all good and healthy.

Thanks to all member who gave me suggestion.