PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy water help

hecterma
10/01/2017, 04:27 PM
Hello, my tank has been set up for 3 months and everything was fine until I wanted to add more flow. I was using a Fluval SEA CP1 Pump, and it was not nearly enough flow. I just recently added a Ecodrift 4.0 wave maker, and it is amazing! However, it kicked up about 2 and a half months of dead spots and now my tank is extremely cloudy. I have tried water changes every two days and big water changes and nothing seems to help. My corals are stressed out. Any advice from the experienced? Mini cycle?

Set up:
Tank- Fluval M60 24 gallons (BB)
Lights- Fluval Sea marine & reef
Power Heads- Ecodrift 4.0 Running @40% & Fluval SEA CP1
ATO- Tunze osmolator nano
Top off Water- RO/DI (LFS)
Salt Water- Red Sea Coral Pro (LFS)

Salinity- 1.025
Temp- 78F
Ammonia? Refer to picture
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0
PH 8.15

CUC: 5 Hermit crabs 5 Astrea snails

Only 1 clown fish fed pellets every 1 or 2 days.

Here are some before and after pics

Thank you in advance!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/66a51ea30b2df231890cb24d0089a00d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/0a5c30022ebed1e7227f427d14251c9a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171001/95295de965f5824b4944d4a7519be690.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

billdogg
10/01/2017, 04:38 PM
Yes, you kicked up some detritus. If you have any Prime or Amquel (I prefer Prime) you can use it to neutralize the ammonia while your water changes and the denitrifying bacteria catch back up.

As for clearing it up - What I have done in the past for similar situations is to stuff an old canister filter with polyester pillow stuffing (white filter floss, but much cheaper) and let 'er rip.

If you have access to a Diatom filter, (Vortex XL, mine is 30 years old and going strong) that will clear the tank in about 20 minutes.

You might want to angle both power heads upwards so that the surface is well agitated. Not only will that help prevent further dust-ups, it will help to oxygenate the water.

When you are doing your watyer chages in the future, I would also suggest that you use a turkey baster to blast the rocks get the gunk out before it accumulates. If you have a small power head (MJ600-1200) you can use that as well.

hth!

hecterma
10/01/2017, 06:58 PM
Yes, you kicked up some detritus. If you have any Prime or Amquel (I prefer Prime) you can use it to neutralize the ammonia while your water changes and the denitrifying bacteria catch back up.

As for clearing it up - What I have done in the past for similar situations is to stuff an old canister filter with polyester pillow stuffing (white filter floss, but much cheaper) and let 'er rip.

If you have access to a Diatom filter, (Vortex XL, mine is 30 years old and going strong) that will clear the tank in about 20 minutes.

You might want to angle both power heads upwards so that the surface is well agitated. Not only will that help prevent further dust-ups, it will help to oxygenate the water.

When you are doing your watyer chages in the future, I would also suggest that you use a turkey baster to blast the rocks get the gunk out before it accumulates. If you have a small power head (MJ600-1200) you can use that as well.

hth!Thanks for the help!

hecterma
10/01/2017, 07:07 PM

hth!Will it clear up on its own without a diatom filter? Are weekly water changes ok or should I do a water change twice a week for now?

billdogg
10/01/2017, 07:17 PM
It will clear but it might take a few days.

hecterma
10/01/2017, 07:21 PM
It will clear but it might take a few days.It's been a couple of weeks now, so I may just invest in a diatom filter. Thanks.