PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice for new Fox Face

hfa3501
10/01/2017, 04:44 PM
I just brought home two new fishes today - an Arc-Eyed Hawk, and a Fox Face Rabbit Fish. The Hawk has settled in after acclimation and is eating & swimming around the tank (after about 2hrs in the tank). The Fox Face; however; is still cowering in the corner in the back of the tank, and is sporting his "stressed-out" colors/camouflage. He would not eat.

I drip acclimated both fish for about 30mins and turned the light very low.

Water params are:
79 degrees
sal 1.025
Phos .03
Nitr 0.00
DkH 10.5

Is this typically a fish that takes a while to get used to new surroundings? Or should I be concerned? He looks healthy...no spots, no scratches, nothing marks or sores at all and was active at the LFS before I brought him home. The Fox Face and the Hawk came from the same tank.

Any advice would be helpful - I have never had a Fox Face before

IvanTheTerrible
10/01/2017, 06:55 PM
It took mine a few days to be comfortable. Now, it's always out and about. I would give it a day or two to see if things straighten out. Do you have some nori in the tank? It's like crack to mine, and adding a little might get him to come out of his corner.

- Ivan

hfa3501
10/01/2017, 07:02 PM
I do not have any seaweed for him yet, but I will tomorrow :-) Thank you for the info....I know some Tangs will eat Romaine Lettuce, will the Fox Face? I have some of that in the fridge

hfa3501
10/03/2017, 09:31 AM
So, my fox face is only coming out from the corner when no one is in the room. He won't eat the nori that I put on a clip for him, and he won't eat brine or mysis yet. The only thing I see him picking at (when he thinks no one is looking) is red hair algae on one rock.

Goofy

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:27 AM
He is still stressed out from his new environment. Let him be and he will come around.

hfa3501
10/06/2017, 05:42 PM
How long should I wait before I get worried about him? It's been 5 days since I brought him home. He hasn't eaten much at all

fishsuse29
10/07/2017, 08:45 AM
I just added a new foxface and it took him a couple of days to start eating as well. I would try squirting some brine shrimp in his cave. Mine was very shy at first and wouldn't eat till after I left the front of the tank

hotdogmj71
10/07/2017, 05:18 PM
My one spot ate on the 2nd day of QT. Added to DT on Tuesday & it just ate for the 1st time a few minutes ago. It is a very shy fish & I had to move very carefully & slowly or it would rush back to cover. I used a frozen herbivore blend tonight so I'm not sure if that helped any or not. Good luck

hfa3501
10/07/2017, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your info. He is finally eating the Nori I put on a clip for him. Still not eating brine or mysis. But at least he is starting to come out a littler more - day 6.....I guess I just have to wait on him....this is the first fish I've had that took this long to get acclimated to new surroundings. Anything else has always been a day or two max