PDA

View Full Version : Params

Ejb
10/01/2017, 07:17 PM
Im kinda confused on this, my alk (kbh) shows 8 and my calcium is at 480. I do not have a mag test so im not sure what that is. Are these params bad? I know calc seems to be a little high but with the alk at 8 is it possible for the calc to be at 480? Are these all connected (alk,calc,mag) as in if one goes down the other goes up type of thing. Im trying to understand the relationship these elements have and its kinda confusing me.

SAT
10/01/2017, 07:50 PM
Calcium and alkalinity are actually completely different things. It is possible to add calcium to the water without affecting alkalinity (e.g., as calcium chloride). Similarly, adding sodium carbonate to the water will increase alkalinity without adding calcium. However, if you dose calcium hydroxide (kalk), or use a calcium reactor, which dissolves calcium carbonate, you will increase both.

Your params are fine. DKh 8 is in range for natural seawater. 480ppm calcium is higher than natural but not a problem.

Magnesium is significant because calcium is more soluable in water in the presence of magnesium. Since you have a high calcium level you can infer that you have enough magnesium.

Hope that helps.

Ejb
10/01/2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks, I was thinking of dosing kalk but since checking params for a while I am kinda hesitant. I will continue to monitor and see how things go. I prob should get a mag test kit.

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 05:41 AM
Start looking into dosing when alk/cal/mag levels can't be kept stable enough with water changes alone because corals,etc.. are depleting them faster than the water changes are replenishing them..
But unless thats happening don't worry about dosing..

Cprice515
10/02/2017, 09:09 AM
Do you have many LPS or SPS corals with a hard skeleton? If so, I would not rely on water changes and start measuring more of your parameters on a regular basis to determine what is being used.

I would test Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Nitrates and Photsphate to determine the overall health of your tank currently. Adjust the parameters to proper levels and then re-test in a few days. You can then determine how much Cal/Alk you tank is consuming daily and will be able to dose appropriately.

Ejb
10/02/2017, 02:00 PM
Ive been testing alk everyday for about 13 days. At one point it was 9 somehow. After my water change it went back to 8 but usually a day or two before my water change its at 7. Calc I have not tested everyday but I will for a while to see how that goes in a weeks span. I think when the alk was 9 it was a faulty reading

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 05:55 AM
Here.. read this.. (a couple times if needed).
That has the "ranges" that are considered acceptable..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

In general stability is more important than any specific number and as long as you are in those ranges you are usually just fine..
Don't strive for any "perfect" number.. strive for stability in parameters (aka they don't change)