PDA

View Full Version : Rodi help.

topjimmy
10/02/2017, 09:03 AM
Greetings all. I was wondering if any of you have ever dealt with this issue of super high source tds.

My well water tested after the softener and chlorination/dechlor system is over 2500 tds.

Yeah 2500 that is not a typo. My three stage ro does pretty well in general getting the output from the ro side to about 60 tds. The di can take it to zero but it depletes rather quickly. I'm considering trying to degass the ro water first and then send it to the di, but to tell you that I know it is a co2 problem would be a lie. I have no idea what the co2 is. I have also been thinking about running the effluent from the first ro to a second in hopes of getting better results. As it is I think maybe the well water is causing my inability to keep po4 down in the tank even though I run gfo.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Opus123
10/02/2017, 09:25 AM
I honestly have never heard of tds that high. I would suggest starting with one of the RO/DI sponsors and see what they have to say. Maybe try Buckeye first. They usually reply to a lot of the RO questions and I've never seen them try and push one of their products, just provide good info.

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 10:13 AM
call buckeye hydro and talk to them about your situation..
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/
They will get you exactly what you need..

I wouldn't even want to shower in that water no matter what it is.. :)

Opus123
10/02/2017, 04:37 PM
Let us know if you find a good solution. May help others in same situation.

billdogg
10/02/2017, 05:27 PM
call buckeye hydro and talk to them about your situation..
http://www.buckeyehydro.com/
They will get you exactly what you need..

I wouldn't even want to shower in that water no matter what it is.. :)

What he said, x 1000. And it sound like mud to me! Russ is your man at buckeyehydro. He'll give you the straight answer, and only sell you the things that you need.

Let us know if you find a good solution. May help others in same situation.

Please do!

topjimmy
10/03/2017, 11:40 AM
What he said, x 1000. And it sound like mud to me! Russ is your man at buckeyehydro. He'll give you the straight answer, and only sell you the things that you need.

Please do!OK looks like a booster pump and a wye that will let me send already treated water back through the ro membrane for a second time.

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 12:06 PM
Have you checked to make sure your pump inlet isn't down too far too sucking mud?
Do you have a sediment filter for the whole house?
Seems like a very high TDS to have where you are...
In a brackish/saltwater area I might expect that but not in Ohio..

Something isn't right IMO.. Thats just too high even for well water... I thought EPA limit is like 500/1000 or so and after that you can have lots of "problems" from rapid corrosion to skin issues,etc...

topjimmy
10/03/2017, 12:30 PM
Have you checked to make sure your pump inlet isn't down too far too sucking mud?
Do you have a sediment filter for the whole house?
Seems like a very high TDS to have where you are...
In a brackish/saltwater area I might expect that but not in Ohio..

Something isn't right IMO.. Thats just too high even for well water... I thought EPA limit is like 500/1000 or so and after that you can have lots of "problems" from rapid corrosion to skin issues,etc...I use a hand held tds meter. Distilled water test at zero. Water out of the tap says 259 with an x10 flashing. I suppose I can try to get a different tds meter. I don't have a sediment filter but I probably should. I have a softener and a chlorination system.
I actually just had to replace the well pump, and the guys that did the job seemed to know what they were doing. The well is about 235 ft deep. They let it pump until it ran clear before hooking it back to the house supply.

Opus123
10/03/2017, 01:15 PM
Did you mean 2590 and not 259? Not sure on EPA limits but mine can range from the low 200's to the 500's depending on time of year and water level in the lake.

Are your neighbors on well water also? If so, maybe you could get a reading from some of them to check against yours.

topjimmy
10/03/2017, 01:16 PM
Did you mean 2590 and not 259? Not sure on EPA limits but mine can range from the low 200's to the 500's depending on time of year and water level in the lake.Well it reads 259 with a x10 flashing next to the number. 259x10=2590

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 01:46 PM
I am no expert on that but thats way high IMO..
I would be concerned..

topjimmy
10/03/2017, 01:49 PM
We don't use it for cooking or drinking. I probably should send a sample to a lab. I'm going to buy a new tds meter also.

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 03:38 PM
Contact your local extension office..
Many times they test for free and usually do very extensive testing..
https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/AEX-315

topjimmy
10/06/2017, 07:25 AM
OK so I bought a new tds meter and it is only reading 1600 ppm. Still pretty bad but not as bad.....

Going to hook up the booster pump and see where that gets me, and the push that permeate through the membrane again. I should finally be able to get decent results and not eat up my di resin in 20 gal.

hkgar
10/06/2017, 10:20 AM
I am not going to comment on your TDS, but 60 TDS after RO would be a 98% rate which is pretty good. You are going through DI resin because of the well water. I am on a well and went from changing DI resin every 3-4 weeks (about 100 gallons) to every 12-14 months. by degassing.

topjimmy
10/06/2017, 10:22 AM
I am not going to comment on your TDS, but 60 TDS after RO would be a 98% rate which is pretty good. You are going through DI resin because of the well water. I am on a well and went from changing DI resin every 3-4 weeks (about 100 gallons) to every 12-14 months. by degassing.Yeah I thought about doing that too,but if the second pass gets me to 1-2 I might not bother with di.

hkgar
10/06/2017, 03:23 PM
You want 0 tds, nothing else is acceptable unless you know what is causing a reading of the 1-2. If you are getting to 0 tds after 1 pass through the ro and then the DI don't get a 2nd ro, just go from the membrane (RO) to a storage tank and de-gass for 24-48 hours than pump through the DI cartridge.

hkgar
10/06/2017, 03:25 PM
You want 0 tds, nothing else is acceptable unless you know what is causing a reading of the 1-2. If you are getting to 0 tds after 1 pass through the ro and then the DI don't get a 2nd ro, just go from the membrane (RO) to a storage tank and de-gass for 24-48 hours than pump through the DI cartridge.

Given where you are starting with TDS do you really want to chance that the remaining 1 or 2 tds is not copper or arsenic? Are you near a golf course?

topjimmy
10/06/2017, 05:05 PM
Yeah I guess I should be able to degass it and get more out of the resin. There used to be a golf course close, now it's all new construction. Lots of farms though.

topjimmy
10/07/2017, 06:45 PM
So I hooked up the booster pump and now I get 21 tds after the first pass. I'm going to try the degassing and see if it saves me on resin since I don't know if it's worth it to run it through the ro membrane again.

Buckeye Hydro
10/14/2017, 07:46 AM
We have customers with well water >2500.

In these sorts of situations we typically spec something like this:
Water softener or other pretreatment as needed (iron? Manganese?)
Whole-house (POE) RO system with holding tank and repressurization pump

And a POU RO system if needed.

Feel free to call in if we can help you.

Russ