PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps Wet/Dry questions

my5girls
10/02/2017, 10:23 AM
My stand is configured as to not allow a big sump or wet/dry. I am setting up a 125 gallon fish and live rock tank. I can fit 2 of these, ESHOPPS WD-100-CS WET-DRY FILTER SUMP, on each end. I thought I would put the 2 skimmer boxes in the middle of the tank, and the returns...one on each end of the tank.Would this be able to accommodate a protein skimmer, looking at the Reef Octopus Space Saver Skimmers. Would I need one in each wet/dry the Classic 110, or could I do one of the Classic 150 in one sump only? I also plan to put my heater in the sump also. What size return pumps do I need for each system?

ESHOPPS WD-100-CS WET-DRY FILTER SUMP

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 11:17 AM
I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here..
Are you not able to do a traditional sump below the tank?
Can you do a sketch or picture or something showing your constraints/layout issues?

In general wet/dry systems have gone out of favor in the past 10-15 years..
Don't see why you would need 2 skimmers either..

But I need to know why you are limited to 2 small cubes at each end of the tank?
I'm not understanding that constraint yet..

In general you want a return pump rated 3-10x your display tank size after head loss

my5girls
10/02/2017, 12:20 PM
Can you do a sketch or picture or something showing your constraints/layout issues?

But I need to know why you are limited to 2 small cubes at each end of the tank?

In general you want a return pump rated 3-10x your display tank size after head loss

The stand is 72 inches long, but divided into 3 "cubes" of about 22 inches each. The 2 cubes on the end have a cabinet door on them and the center is open with a shelf in it.

my5girls
10/02/2017, 12:26 PM

Why have they gone out of favor?

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 12:35 PM
Why have they gone out of favor?

Because they don't really work well and require too much maintenance and there are better ways..

Personally I'd get a new stand vs dealing with those types of issues/constraints..
You would need an independent overflow and return pump for each cube if you wanted 2 sumps and one display..

mako61
10/02/2017, 01:14 PM
Because they don't really work well and require too much maintenance and there are better ways..

Personally I'd get a new stand vs dealing with those types of issues/constraints..
You would need an independent overflow and return pump for each cube if you wanted 2 sumps and one display..

+1 dealing with 2 sumps would be an on going pain. I would avoid that if at all possible. wet/dry is just a place for bacteria to grow for the nitrogen cycle live rock does this better. It also helps with gas exchange. Surface agitation from power head(s), overflow box, and a skimmer all handle gas exchange. It you dont have enough live rock you can supplement that with media pure or similar media just submerged in your sump. I had a tank 15ish years ago that had one. I got rid of it after adding live rock and a skimmer with no downside.