PDA

View Full Version : Should I be siphoning the sand so much?

reef cuber
10/02/2017, 11:37 AM
My 32 biocube tank has been up since March this year. I do a 25% water change weekly (sometimes it's 2 weeks I admit).. I also siphon all the sand I can access when I do every water change. I had the brown diatom bloom a few months after set up which cleared up on it's own.

Everything has been clean, no algae on the rocks, just the thin film on the glass. I have a sand sifter starfish that's been in the tank for 3 months and seems to be doing well, even growing back an arm he lost. Coraline is spreading. Cleaning crew is cleaning (hermits and snails). I have 2 small fish in the tank. Each fish had been added about 2 months apart.

I started out with well tap water but now use RO water, about the time the cyano appeared. (I plan to test just the RO water tonight) I have Ferris Oxide and carbon in my filtration. All levels tested by myself and LFS has been good, though my tests lately have shown higher nitrates and ammonia.

All corals are doing well and growing, the toadstool is the only one that stays "withdrawn" and he is in the lower current area of the tank which might be his problem. Nothing has died that I can find. I feed a tiny bit of reef roid, phyto feast and oyster feast when I direct feed corals and a few small 1/4" shrimp pieces for my hermits, shrimp and decorator crab, and 1/4" square piece of frozen brine shrimp for my fish. I feed every 3 days.

Since I started with the RO, I have a ton of cyno on the sand. Just in the corner where the 1 power heads current peters out. I've siphoned it out in the last two cleanings.

I am thinking that I shouldn't be siphoning my sand so much. I only have 1 to 1-1/2" of sand so not a lot.

Should I siphon it at all? Do half a side at a time? Am I taking out too much of the good bacteria?

I also want to know if my filtration needs to be change for something different. You read one way is good by one person and then next says it's bad.

The vendor didn't provide anything but a frame and flat carbon filter. I took it out and put bio media (porous stones) in a bag along with carbon and ferris oxide each in a bag, and 3 different coarseness of sponge filters, including floss in the center compartment. I don't have a skimmer though I am thinking about it. I am also looking at a Refugium to put under the tank and remove the sponges. I don't pull out the sponges to clean, just change the floss every water change.

Should I clean the sponges?

I need to do another water change tonight, I planned to use a baster to suck up the cyano on the surface of the sand and change just the water. Change my carbon and Ferris Oxide out for fresh, change the floss filtration.

I am also thinking of adding another power head to hit the area where the cyano is, and put them on a timer alternating 4 hours at at time.... so not to burn them out. Most of my corals are medium flow so I am concerned about too much flow.

I would rather not use any chemicals if I can help it. I am sure that I am doing something wrong or I need to change something in my set up. Any input would be helpful.

reef cuber
10/02/2017, 11:37 AM
I should add that I have been looking through other cyano posts as well.

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 12:32 PM
I never siphon my sand bed but will suck up just a bit if there is cyano..
And I never run mechanical filtration media (sponges/socks,etc..) because they need frequent cleaning and I'd rather what they are grabbing float freely to be consumed instead of sitting there..

billdogg
10/02/2017, 06:18 PM
I fall somewhere in between the 2 of you. I do water changes every 4-6 weeks (or sooner as needed) and siphon about 1/4 of the sandbed that I can easily get to. I let the CUC handle the rest. Any bristle worms that might get sucked up will be easily replenished by the many living elsewhere in the tank.

jm.02

Ron Reefman
10/03/2017, 05:50 AM
I never siphon the sand bed.

If you have cyano, siphoning it out can be helpful, but you need to address the problem, what's feeding the cyano?

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 06:08 AM
And I never run mechanical filtration media (sponges/socks,etc..) because they need frequent cleaning and I'd rather what they are grabbing float freely to be consumed instead of sitting there..

+1 to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reef cuber
10/03/2017, 07:55 AM
Thank you for the replys.

I have been thinking about putting a small refugium in the back and remove all the sponge filters.

I did a water test and nitrates are a tad high, and pH is low. Could this be what is feeding the Cyano?

JTL
10/03/2017, 07:56 AM
I have gone both ways and to be honest really haven't noticed any difference. I only run a sock when I'm cleaning the tank and hitting the sand with a baster.

reef cuber
10/03/2017, 08:13 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=78642&albumid=11574&dl=1507036244&thumb=1

I think there is a flow issue too, seems like a dead spot where the cyano is collecting.

reef cuber
10/03/2017, 08:16 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=11574&pictureid=78642

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 08:27 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=78642&albumid=11574&dl=1507036244&thumb=1

I think there is a flow issue too, seems like a dead spot where the cyano is collecting.

Some good information here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862168

I had this very early in my very first tank. Until I got it under control, I cut back slightly on the light time, and amount of feedings, I did more request water changes and increased the flow in the tank.

From your picture, you seem to only have it on one side of the tank, are you getting enough flow down there in that one side?

reef cuber
10/03/2017, 08:52 AM
I'm going to add another power head on the other side tonight. I have cut back on feedings already and adjusted some of my lights this morning, but need to do some more. I tried turning off lights for 3 days and that didn't help.

I'm going to clean the cyano off, do some frequent water changes.

ReeferNoob4ever
10/03/2017, 09:37 AM
I had the same progression as you my friend. I had the diatoms, then the cyano. Cyano is slowly going away. A couple things I did was cut back on feeding. I siphon my sand in my 20 gallon and not in my 10 or 5 gallon tanks. I just suck the cyano off the top of the sand before I go balls deep in the sand bed to try and remove as much as possible. I believe (at least for me) it is just part of the cycle and will balance itself out. As stated before, lots of flow and cut back on feeding should help speed up the process. If all else fails I have a Red Slime Remover waiting at the helm! I also don't use a skimmer - do you?

Sk8r
10/03/2017, 10:53 AM
105 gallon. I never do. Only the sump, which has no sand.

Tuffyyyyy
10/03/2017, 11:41 AM

Looks to me like that's clearly your problem. Just get some flow going there and you're good to go.

deputydawg88
10/03/2017, 12:18 PM

I have a filter sock which has been on since I set my tank up. I have been battling cyanobacteria for months now and I just can't seem to get rid of it, would removing this sock be helpful?

And secondly, could removing the sock potentially cause a mini-cycle?

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 12:24 PM
I have a filter sock which has been on since I set my tank up. I have been battling cyanobacteria for months now and I just can't seem to get rid of it, would removing this sock be helpful?

And secondly, could removing the sock potentially cause a mini-cycle?

Socks are great ways to trap large debris... BUT you need to clean them out constantly or they become nutrient traps.

I clean mine twice and week and wash them in the washer with bleach. No you can't cause a mini cycle.

deputydawg88
10/03/2017, 12:30 PM
Socks are great ways to trap large debris... BUT you need to clean them out constantly or they become nutrient traps.

I clean mine twice and week and wash them in the washer with bleach. No you can't cause a mini cycle.

Thanks for the response. Is it worthwhile having as sock on a 33 gallon tank then?

And might removing the sock go some way to getting rid of the cyanobacteria problem I have?

hkgar
10/03/2017, 03:57 PM
Fifteen years in and have never vacuumed a sand bed and I even bought the darn thing. I used it once to get some overflowed GFO off the sump bottom.

Kremis
10/03/2017, 06:54 PM
28 gallon with garden eels + 5 inch DSB. I siphon it every week. keeps diatoms down and the tank clean.

reef cuber
10/04/2017, 09:14 AM
Here are the steps I've taken so far

20% water change (to be done more frequently as well)
added a second power head
changed out charcoal and Ferris Oxide for fresh (will exchange more often)
siphoned off just the cyano on the sand and sludge in the back of the tank.
Adjusted lighting to shorten time
cut back on feeding and volume fed, to every 3 days
adjusted the fixed pump outlet in the tank to create more surface agitation

I don't have a skimmer but thinking of getting one, is there a good skimmer on the market that will fit in the back of a biocube 32, and should it go in the first water chamber or in the center part where I plan to put the fuge?

Thank you for all the responses. When I first set up the tank I didn't touch the bed for several months. Since I have a shallow sand bed, I'm going to leave it alone to see what happens. I also plan to pull all sponges (one at a time) and then start a fuge in the back. I was also thinking of bypassing and making a small sump in the bottom of the cabinet. Can anyone recommend a resource for a small sump that would fit in the bottome of the biocube 32 cabinet?

ReeferNoob4ever
10/04/2017, 09:44 AM
Sumps are cool to keep your equipment hidden and add some water volume, but have you looked into an algae reactor instead?

reef cuber
10/05/2017, 07:54 AM
I have not considered an algae reactor... I'll look into it.

I was reading on refugeiums in other forums and some of the comments are that they aren't necessary. If you have enough stuff to feed a refugeium, then you still have a source issue. You actually have to have nutrients to keep the refugeium alive as well. So, other than just having more water volume, surface agitation and room for a skimmer etc.. should I even bother? Would it be money better spent if I invest in a H20 top off and Kalkwasser for my Ph issue?
What are your thoughts?

hkgar
10/05/2017, 11:13 AM
If you feed your fish then you have a source of NO3 and PO4. You need a way to remove them. If you have coral they will use some.

Do some research on PH. You really cannot control it. It will do what it wants to do. You can only increase it by removing co2 from the water.

reef cuber
10/06/2017, 10:28 AM
another question... will heat cause cyano as well? Could bumping down my tank a little bit at a time inhibit it's growth? What is an ideal temp for a
reef tank?

ReeferNoob4ever
10/06/2017, 11:15 AM
Probably not, I keep my tank at 75 degrees and I still get it. Unless you keep yours at 86 degrees I doubt it will make a difference.

reef cuber
10/12/2017, 07:58 AM
So it just occurred to me something I was also doing wrong. I have slowly been increasing my salinity and didn't realize it. DUH........ The worst part is, that I have been doing this for my 5 gal QT tank, but not my biocube. I haven't been topping off my biocube with RO water. I had been checking my salinity before my water changes and setting my water change to reflect that. I was keeping it at .26 at first, but it's climbed up to .30.......... OOPSIE!! That may explain why some of my corals have been unhappy. What a total dumb a** move! LOL! I will be correcting this back to what it should be in the next couple water changes. Smooth move exlax!

ca1ore
10/12/2017, 03:18 PM
Meh, just one in a long list of dumb a$$ move chez moi :lol:. Easy enough to fix. Cyano also comes and goes, I certainly don't vacuum my sand bed. Up the flow and it mostly goes away.

reef cuber
10/20/2017, 08:20 AM
Cyano is gone.... for now. Thank you for all the feedback, it's much appreciated.

reef cuber
10/20/2017, 08:21 AM
I also added a few more corals!