PDA

View Full Version : Purified water for QT?

allendehl
10/02/2017, 12:10 PM
Guys,

I'm planing in starting TTM and QT a few fish while my tank cycles. I haven't setup my mixing station yet so I am looking for safe alternatives to RODI water to top off my QT.
Is it purified water a good option? Do I need to add something to it before I pour it in?
I assume that as I'll be keeping the fish there for just a few weeks and then emitting the tank, algae wont be an issue. Am I right?

Thanks!

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 12:17 PM
yes bottled water either spring/purified/etc.. is likely fine..
add salt to it before you pour it in :)

Don't turn on the lights and don't let nutrients build up and algae won't be an issue.
You will need to do frequent water changes to keep ammonia from becoming an issue..

But thats about all I know.. I've never QT anything as I'm a reckless rebel walking the line of the wild side..

allendehl
10/02/2017, 01:30 PM
yes bottled water either spring/purified/etc.. is likely fine..
add salt to it before you pour it in :)

Don't turn on the lights and don't let nutrients build up and algae won't be an issue.
You will need to do frequent water changes to keep ammonia from becoming an issue..

But thats about all I know.. I've never QT anything as I'm a reckless rebel walking the line of the wild side..

Yeah I know...that deep dark secret only a few know and would kill for!!!

Question, do I need to add salt to the top off water? I tested gravity in the empty tank and it was actually high (0.028). Since I filled it up a couple of days ago evaporation may have done its thing. I was planing in adding some fresh water before I put my upcoming fish to water it down bit.

tjm9331
10/02/2017, 01:45 PM
Yeah I know...that deep dark secret only a few know and would kill for!!!

Question, do I need to add salt to the top off water? I tested gravity in the empty tank and it was actually high (0.028). Since I filled it up a couple of days ago evaporation may have done its thing. I was planing in adding some fresh water before I put my upcoming fish to water it down bit.

was it 0.028 or 1.028, if its 1.028 then just add some freshwater and it will bring the SG down. if its 0.028 then it's not too high, it's too low in which case you'll need to add more salt to get the SG up.

I'm guessing that you meant 1.028. To answer your question, no you do not add salt to the top off water as water evaporates, salt does not so your SG will rise as freshwater evaporates, just add freshwater and your SG will fall back to normal.

allendehl
10/02/2017, 01:54 PM
was it 0.028 or 1.028, if its 1.028 then just add some freshwater and it will bring the SG down. if its 0.028 then it's not too high, it's too low in which case you'll need to add more salt to get the SG up.

I'm guessing that you meant 1.028. To answer your question, no you do not add salt to the top off water as water evaporates, salt does not so your SG will rise as freshwater evaporates, just add freshwater and your SG will fall back to normal.

Oh geez...still getting used to the numbers. Yes you are right. My refractometer doesn't even has a scale that low. I meant 1.028.

tjm9331
10/02/2017, 01:58 PM
Oh geez...still getting used to the numbers. Yes you are right. My refractometer doesn't even has a scale that low. I meant 1.028.

lol I figured, yeah just add some freshwater and it should bring it down.

Rogger Castells
10/02/2017, 02:51 PM
My advise would be to mix all the water that you will be using for your TTM all at once in a large container that you can seal so evaporation doesn’t change your salinity so all the water will be exactly the same every 3 days when you transfer them, so if you are doing this on 10gal container or tanks you will need at least 50 gals made ahead of time, I would probably do more if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allendehl
10/02/2017, 03:20 PM
My advise would be to mix all the water that you will be using for your TTM all at once in a large container that you can seal so evaporation doesn’t change your salinity so all the water will be exactly the same every 3 days when you transfer them, so if you are doing this on 10gal container or tanks you will need at least 50 gals made ahead of time, I would probably do more if possible

I had my water delivered a few days ago (sea water) and filled up the DT, QT and one of the two TTM buckets. Also 2 35G gray Brute buckets I keep outside with their lids on. The guy said that would be ok.
As the QT tank will be fish-less for at least the TTM cycle it evaporates since it is uncovered. That is something I need to deal with.
For the TTM I plan in getting the water off the Brute tanks, which hopefully will stay stable.

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 03:23 PM
The salt does not evaporate.. so top off with fresh water only..

allendehl
10/02/2017, 03:26 PM
Thank you all. Lucky me to have found this site!

Rogger Castells
10/02/2017, 03:40 PM
I am not sure that doing a TTM with nsw is a good idea, personally I would make sure that the water you using is 100% free of parasites

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 03:44 PM
I am not sure that doing a TTM with nsw is a good idea, personally I would make sure that the water you using is 100% free of parasites

Did someone mention NSW?

Rogger Castells
10/02/2017, 03:58 PM
Did someone mention NSW?

Maybe I am confuse but I was referring to this comment
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/496a1849f73b981d6e3ff871c1de5387.jpg

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 04:05 PM
Maybe I am confuse but I was referring to this comment

Thanks.. I didn't notice that part..

allendehl
10/02/2017, 05:37 PM
I was hoping NSW meant Not Safe for Work!!!.....really? Is it a problem TTMing and QTing using ocean water?
That won't be good since I just paid a guy for the delivery and filled up even my bath tub. :headwallblue:

Rogger Castells
10/02/2017, 05:59 PM
I mean, the whole idea is to ensure that you break the parasite cycle by moving them into a known sterile container every 72 hours thus preventing the infectious stage of ich from reattaching to any fish, then moving them again every 72 hours until there is no chance of any parasite left over, if you are using ocean water I would think that there is always a chance to have pathogens living there. But that is just my opinion perhaps there are people that has more experience that could chime in

allendehl
10/02/2017, 06:28 PM
I mean, the whole idea is to ensure that you break the parasite cycle by moving them into a known sterile container every 72 hours thus preventing the infectious stage of ich from reattaching to any fish, then moving them again every 72 hours until there is no chance of any parasite left over, if you are using ocean water I would think that there is always a chance to have pathogens living there. But that is just my opinion perhaps there are people that has more experience that could chime in

And it does make total sense...I just hope I wasn't unlucky enough to have captured something bad in my very first batch of water!!!