PDA

View Full Version : ATI sun power and rust

fishkeeprian
10/02/2017, 12:22 PM
Hello yesterday I picked up my second hand ati t5. I think it had been sitting in the guys garage for sometime. The casing was a little dirty and there is a few marks on the casing and a couple of smallish dents but it only cost me 50. The ballasts all work but I do need to get a couple of new fan assemblies. I decided to take it apart and give it a good clean and free it of any dust and spiders.

On inspection I notice two big rust patches under where the fans sit. I cleaned it off with some wire wool and wd40 as much as I could but it's still there. There is also little bits of rust dotted all over the inside of the body but not on any of the electrical componets.

Is the rust a massive deal will it keep getting worse?

Also most of the reflectors are good there is a couple of ones that are dented. When do these need to be replaced?

I also need to replace the perspex splash guard, is this a special material or can I use standard perspex?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw341fzpl7h59vc/20171002_180528.jpg?dl=0

jayball
10/02/2017, 12:52 PM
I would sand down the rust and hit it with some primer. it is just on the inside so not a big deal what it looks like.

If the dents are not bad I wouldn't worry about it, it should only cut down on the par a little.

fishkeeprian
10/02/2017, 01:06 PM
I would sand down the rust and hit it with some primer. it is just on the inside so not a big deal what it looks like.

If the dents are not bad I wouldn't worry about it, it should only cut down on the par a little.

Hi what should I sand it down with? Would the primer need to be heat resistant?. Do you know if the splash guard is just standard perspex ?