PDA

View Full Version : ATI sun power and rust

fishkeeprian
10/02/2017, 12:43 PM
Hello yesterday I picked up my second hand ati t5. I think it had been sitting in the guys garage for sometime. The casing was a little dirty and there is a few marks on the casing and a couple of smallish dents but it only cost me 50. The ballasts all work but I do need to get a couple of new fan assemblies. I decided to take it apart and give it a good clean and free it of any dust and spiders.

On inspection I notice two big rust patches under where the fans sit. I cleaned it off with some wire wool and wd40 as much as I could but it's still there. There is also little bits of rust dotted all over the inside of the body but not on any of the electrical componets.

Is the rust a massive deal will it keep getting worse?

Also most of the reflectors are good there is a couple of ones that are dented. When do these need to be replaced?

I also need to replace the perspex splash guard, is this a special material or can I use standard perspex?

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw341fzpl7h59vc/20171002_180528.jpg?dl=0

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 03:39 PM
The rust will get worse.. best to sand it down as best as possible then apply paint to cover/seal it up and even then it will continue to rust (you can use naval jelly too).. you will need to use alcohol to remove that wd40 you put on it now before applying paint..

You can replace the dented reflectors whenever you want..

and any old acrylic (perspex is a specific brand) will be fine for the splash shield..

fishkeeprian
10/03/2017, 01:18 AM
The rust will get worse.. best to sand it down as best as possible then apply paint to cover/seal it up and even then it will continue to rust (you can use naval jelly too).. you will need to use alcohol to remove that wd40 you put on it now before applying paint..

You can replace the dented reflectors whenever you want..

and any old acrylic (perspex is a specific brand) will be fine for the splash shield..

I am thinking of taking all the components off the tray and sandblasting it clean, prime and reassemble.

fishkeeprian
10/04/2017, 06:38 AM
One of my pals in our drawing office has just redrawn up the body cover as the one I have is damaged and dented. He is then going to draw up the undertray where all the ballasts bolt to as per the above photo, so I will have a completely new body made. You can't buy these from ATI as spares.

mcgyvr
10/04/2017, 09:40 AM
One of my pals in our drawing office has just redrawn up the body cover as the one I have is damaged and dented. He is then going to draw up the undertray where all the ballasts bolt to as per the above photo, so I will have a completely new body made. You can't buy these from ATI as spares.

Nice... gotta love having access to a laser or turret press (I assume)..
or shear/drill press if you don't have that..
Its a very simple design they have..
Nothing fancy..

fishkeeprian
10/04/2017, 11:40 AM
Nice... gotta love having access to a laser or turret press (I assume)..
or shear/drill press if you don't have that..
Its a very simple design they have..
Nothing fancy..

It will be laser cut and folded. Pretty spot on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqw34yqen9jwkx6/ians%20cover%20Model%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0

mcgyvr
10/04/2017, 05:32 PM
It will be laser cut and folded. Pretty spot on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqw34yqen9jwkx6/ians%20cover%20Model%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0

I design fabricated metal parts all the time as part of my day job.. :thumbsup:

fishkeeprian
10/05/2017, 01:16 AM
I design fabricated metal parts all the time as part of my day job.. :thumbsup:

Looking at the overall construction and I have no idea how they justify the price they sell them at.:hmm2:

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 05:03 AM
Looking at the overall construction and I have no idea how they justify the price they sell them at.:hmm2:

My comment on their markup has been removed/modified..

I feel that the price they charge is completely acceptable..

fishkeeprian
10/05/2017, 08:27 AM
That's the undertray done.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6lb7jiysbwd449/Capture.jpg?dl=0

fishkeeprian
10/11/2017, 03:10 AM
I've decided to have the undertray remade out of stainless steel as the galv steel used is a bad design and is not ideal to use in a marine environment.

ggdowski
10/11/2017, 06:28 AM
Magica rust remover is remarkable. You can get it at amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Magica-Rust-Remover-Oz-Spray/dp/B0083U7GAQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

homer1475
10/11/2017, 06:42 AM
Well I'm jelly now!

Bought a used ATI sunpower that was loaded with rust(mostly internal). Took it apart and cleaned it up, but it still has a ton of rust inside.

After taking it apart and seeing what it's made of, it makes me wonder how they can charge what they charge for a piece of sheet metal, a couple ballasts, and some end caps.

ggdowski
10/11/2017, 07:15 AM
Yes it is remarkable. Most also now price fix

JohnnyHildo
10/11/2017, 08:16 AM
i talked with Ryan from brs at this years macna and he mentioned that they did some testing on an ATI fixture to see how much the splash shield affects the par output. in the end they learned that a sunpower should never be run without the shield on as the reflector will rust extremely fast and couldn't even do the test.

mcgyvr
10/11/2017, 10:48 AM
After taking it apart and seeing what it's made of, it makes me wonder how they can charge what they charge for a piece of sheet metal, a couple ballasts, and some end caps.

Personally I feel that the price they charge is just fine as everyday I'm reminded how this world and the people in it are being spoiled by what can easily be called slave labor, low to non-existent profit levels, government corruption, lack of safety regulations, etc...

The "good ole' days" where you could make a decent profit from you hard work starting a company are basically only distant memories now..

Most people just do not understand the costs of doing business "properly" and do not think twice about making cost the only factor in their purchasing decisions..
I too am guilty of that on many occasions and I'm saddened by it..

I'm glad I am still employed at a company that has a great benefit package, is concerned about me as a person, and makes a decent profit margin (50-60% or more) so they we can continue to do business "properly"

kenneth wolfe
10/12/2017, 01:39 AM
I am a rust expert, hate saying that but I own a industrial sandblasting business, saying that, you're not going to sand it sufficiently to stop it, only way is sandblasting or acid, you can take a towl fold it to only cover rust, use muratic acicd to wet towl and let it remove the rust, if the coating around it survives then cleAn residue sand , prime, sand , paint, may products at parts store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
10/13/2017, 07:51 AM
fishkeeprian (name is Ian I guess?)
Your message box is full so I can't reply to your last PM

But any spray paint will have no issues with the heat/moisture levels associated with what you want to do.. Thats not an issue at all..

fishkeeprian
10/13/2017, 07:57 AM
fishkeeprian (name is Ian I guess?)
Your message box is full so I can't reply to your last PM

But any spray paint will have no issues with the heat/moisture levels associated with what you want to do.. Thats not an issue at all..

Yes Ian, Great cheers.