PDA

View Full Version : Any good non-wrasse amphipod predetors?

Tripod1404
10/02/2017, 02:38 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking for a good amphipod predator that is not a wrasse. Considering amphipods are mostly nocturnal, I assume a nocturnal fish would be ideal.

Only such fish that comes to my mind are cardinal fish species. Do you know if these guys are good amphipod predators? Or would you suggest other types of fish.

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 03:43 PM
what wrong with a wrasse?
or amphipods for that reason?

Just curious..

Tripod1404
10/02/2017, 04:17 PM
what wrong with a wrasse?
or amphipods for that reason?

Just curious..

In terms of the amphipods, I want to keep their numbers down since they reduce my copepod population that I desire more :). I am not sure its predation or competition for the same food source, but ever since my orange back fairy wrasse died, amphipod population increased and copepod population decreased. I know fairy wrasses normally do not hunt amphipods, but this guy actively searched the rocks and I have seen him flushing out amphipods from the rock and eating them. I also have a red velvet wrasse, but it shows no interest to amphipods or anything on the substrate for that matter.

I want to stay away from wrasses in Halichoeres or Pseudocheilinus because I like my shrimps and CUC :). And fairy and flasher wrasses are not usually substrate hunters. Leopard wrasses might be a maybe, but I dont know how good they are at hunting amphipods, and even if s/he hunts them low term survival after amphipod population drops.

Joshua I.
10/02/2017, 05:47 PM
leopards should hunt them. Going through the rocks and stuff.

xCry0x
10/02/2017, 06:42 PM
Well so what you want is something that eats amphipods and not copepods -- not sure on the answer there.

I have a blue star leopard that has been fine in my tank for over a year at this point. Still plenty of amphipods. IMO if you are concerned about copepods your best bet is to supplement them with orders from a supplier like algaebarn. I "top off" my pods a few times a year just because I agree with your statement that they are an important part of the general reef ecosystem.

-edit- As far as a leopard being a hunter -- my leopard wrasse reminds me of the six-line I used to have. It is always deliberately hunting.

McPuff
10/03/2017, 06:58 AM
You could try a hawk fish. They seek and destroy pretty well.

homer1475
10/03/2017, 07:05 AM
I second the leopard wrasse. Mine (black spotted)spends the entire day "hunting", and I see no isopods in my tank(Yes I know there are some, I just never see them). Doesn't seem to affect my copopod population as my mandy is still quite fat and happy.

Reef Reaper
10/03/2017, 07:58 AM
Scooter blenny

MurphyLong
10/04/2017, 08:59 AM
Scooter blenny

For amphipods? Mine is a slow mover that could never keep up with an amphipod scurrying around...

HippieSmell
10/04/2017, 09:31 AM
My copperband does nothing but hunt for pods. Probably not amphipod specific, though.

Frogmanx82
10/04/2017, 03:49 PM
Hector's goby