PDA

View Full Version : Cutting hole in mesh cover

qwaz01
10/02/2017, 04:00 PM
I have a Fluval M90 tank with a Simply Aquaria mesh tank cover. The Fluval LED light rests on top of the tank so feeding the fish is a bit of a pain as I need to lift the light, carefully remove the mesh, place the light down again, feed fish and reverse.

Anyway, has anyone cut a small hole in a mesh cover? I did it on a small spare piece I had and it seems ok but Iím nervous about doing it in my main mesh. I only want it small enough to poke my fingers through and submerge a pinch of flake or pellets. Or has anyone got a better idea?

mcgyvr
10/02/2017, 04:09 PM
I just feed right through my mesh lid.. I feed sinking pellets

But yes you can cut a small slot/section out without effecting tension too much..

qwaz01
10/02/2017, 04:12 PM
I just feed right through my mesh lid.. I feed sinking pellets

But yes you can cut a small slot/section out without effecting tension too much..

Thatís what I do at the moment but I like to alternate between flake and pellets. Also I find the pellets tend to float for a period of time and my Goby/Shrimp struggle to get any so I end up over feeding.

billdogg
10/02/2017, 05:29 PM
Mix in a few NLS sinking pellets. They're the only dry food I feed and they get gobbled up.

Vinny Kreyling
10/02/2017, 05:37 PM
There is a company called Artfully Acrylic that makes mesh covers with a feeding door---

ca1ore
10/02/2017, 09:07 PM
I've cut 1x2 inch holes in all my screen covers. No affect to the screen, though my cleaner wrasse found the hole, of course.

qwaz01
10/03/2017, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will give it a try