PDA

View Full Version : Algae Blenny - Food

saf1
10/02/2017, 06:57 PM
Hi All,

I have had a healthy Algae Blenny for a while now that only eats algae in the tank. Over the year or so it has pretty much wiped out everything and it isn't growing fast enough. Not sure if he is the issue or the increase in snails but I noticed it is getting thinner. Otherwise all fish are healthy and round belly.

I've tried Nori but not interested so was wondering if there is another source I could try. Hasn't touched anything (mysis or brine) else pellet or flake so figured I would ask. If not I'll have to find a home for him because I don't want it impacted and my other tank is still about a month or two from being finished.

McPuff
10/03/2017, 07:04 AM
If it's in a 40 gal then I can understand that the food is simply running out. It'll certainly be happier in the larger tank you're planning. It will not accept any prepared foods? Have you fed the LRS herbivore frenzy? You could also try caulerpa, especially the feathery type. They are strange fish and I always have had problems with them... just not sure why. It's too bad because they are super cool and fun to watch.

saf1
10/03/2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks McPuff. I've not heard of LRS herbivore frenzy before but will take a look today. And no, he has not taken any prepared food such has nori, mysis, or brine. I wasn't expecting him to clear out the back panel so quickly but he did. I didn't clean that section of the tank forever.

Ok, thanks. I'll check on the LRS food and maybe some similar and see how it goes.

SaltyDoug
10/03/2017, 08:13 PM
How did you offer the nori was it on a clip? Could try rubber banding it to a rock to mimic its normal feeding style.

I was in the same boat til one day he started nibbling on pellets. Now he is the biggest pig of the bunch and will eat everything that goes in the tank including meaty foods.

Perhaps try a different pellet food as well!

saf1
10/03/2017, 09:06 PM
How did you offer the nori was it on a clip? Could try rubber banding it to a rock to mimic its normal feeding style.

I was in the same boat til one day he started nibbling on pellets. Now he is the biggest pig of the bunch and will eat everything that goes in the tank including meaty foods.

Perhaps try a different pellet food as well!

It was on a clip. Good idea on the rock. I'll dig one out and try that. Glad I posted this because a couple good tips. Thank you all again!

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:30 AM
I would rubberband a piece of Nori to a small rock or rubble and sit it on the sandbed and leave it and see how he responds to that.