PDA

View Full Version : Best in tank skimmer?

Newms118
10/02/2017, 07:07 PM
So I have Tunze 9012 that sits in my sump. Tank size is 65 gallon. The sump runs water more than halfway to the top, so this kind of rules out skimmers that have to sit dry. Anyone can recommend a good brand of skimmer aside from Tunze?

I ask bc the one I have has to be CONSTANTLY fiddled with to get it to skim consistently, and I don't know if its just old and is breaking or not. To get peak performance, I have to clean it out by running it in vinegar water, all the time. More than once a month. Otherwise its performance dwindles to nothing. So what are people's suggestions? is there a way to run an octopus in a sump where the water level is really high (refugium is going in there at the moment too).

Agostinone
10/02/2017, 11:29 PM
I've got the Tunze Comline skimmer and love it. Had a HOB Remora for years that never pulled much goop from the tank. At the time I figured there wasn't enough bio load and the skimmer was fine. I changed to the Tunze while everything else stayed the same and and Wow, skims better and is a lot quieter.

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 04:42 AM
I really like my Bubble Magus Curve 5 for my 80G tank .. I run it in about 6" of water and it pulls great and is easy to adjust..
You can always raise a skimmer up to be in the proper water level assuming there is enough vertical height in your stand to get the cup off..

xCry0x
10/03/2017, 01:54 PM
Why do you need to run vinegar through it? Are you getting calcium build up or something?

The only issue I have had with skimmers is salt creep in the airline -- but that can easily be fixed by just running tank water through it for a minute or two then flushing it with a small amount of ro/di.

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 02:05 PM
I suspect its just not in the right water depth since a statement to that effect was made..

xCry0x
10/03/2017, 02:51 PM
I get water depth being important, just wondering why the vinegar bath is needed? =)

Unless he is messing up dosing and has a ton of precipitate collecting on the skimmer I would think all that needs to be done is to clean out the cup.

Maybe every 6-12 months you go and disassemble the thing for a deep clean but should not need a full acid bath every 30 days.

Darryl Hey
10/03/2017, 03:10 PM
Tunze 9012

Newms118
10/04/2017, 07:23 PM
Why do you need to run vinegar through it? Are you getting calcium build up or something?

The only issue I have had with skimmers is salt creep in the airline -- but that can easily be fixed by just running tank water through it for a minute or two then flushing it with a small amount of ro/di.

Not sure why the Vinegar works but when I would clean it after taking the skimmer out of the sump, it would work better. So I suspected the calcium buildup was slowing the pump down (was also noticing a lot of heat in the tank when the skimmer was running, so I think its the motor).

I do get salt creep that gets in the airline. I tried extending the line, no good. When i did that the bubbles weren't enough, like the bump was having to work harder or something.

Newms118
10/04/2017, 07:25 PM
I suspect its just not in the right water depth since a statement to that effect was made..

I have the 9012 in 10.5 inches of water, so that the water actually goes into the inflow. I think thats the right depth bc after its been cleaned, it runs well for a week or so, pulling a lot of crap out. And I know the bioload is large bc I'm having cyano problems and have bought a lot of macro algae to try and see if I can outcompete the cyano. Even had to do 2 rounds of chemiclean to get it out and its still not all gone. The macros are growing though.

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:07 AM
Simplicity all the way.

xCry0x
10/06/2017, 12:19 PM
Got it.

Not an in-tank but a HOB I personally recommend and use is the Aquamaxx HOB-1.

You mentioned a sump but not sure if you mean an actual cabinent sump or are considering a rear chamber in an AIO a sump.

The Tunze 9012 is typically used more in AIO tanks where the space is limited, if you have an actual cabinet sump then I would recommend a more traditional cone skimmer like a reef octopus -- which I know nothing about =)

The first skimmer I ever had was a Tunze 9002 due to positive feedback on it -- I f'ing hated that skimmer. It never worked reliably and everything about it was awful in my opinion. Right down to the stupid stupid design where the airline connected to the venturi through a plastic elbow that ALWAYS was full of salt creep. I had the same issues you did where the thing would skim well for 1-2 days then immediately started getting salt creep and would no longer skim. Oh and the venturi was after the pump so you couldn't benefit from a needle wheel style impeller that modern skimmers use.

The Aquamaxx imo is an all around better design start to finish.
- Needle wheel impeller
-- Venturi before the impeller so the impeller can chop your air bubbles up (this is a good thing)
- Bubble plate
- Overflows into itself
- Can handle fluctuating water levels
- No stupid *** airline elbow!!! =)