PDA

View Full Version : Best in sump skimmer?

Newms118
10/02/2017, 07:08 PM
So I have Tunze 9012 that sits in my sump. Tank size is 65 gallon. The sump runs water more than halfway to the top, so this kind of rules out skimmers that have to sit dry. Anyone can recommend a good brand of skimmer aside from Tunze?

I ask bc the one I have has to be CONSTANTLY fiddled with to get it to skim consistently, and I don't know if its just old and is breaking or not. To get peak performance, I have to clean it out by running it in vinegar water, all the time. More than once a month. Otherwise its performance dwindles to nothing. So what are people's suggestions? is there a way to run an octopus in a sump where the water level is really high (refugium is going in there at the moment too).

fishsuse29
10/02/2017, 07:22 PM
Why don't you just raise up the skimmer? I made a stand out of egg crate for my reef octopus xp-2000

is null
10/03/2017, 09:29 AM
Same here, used egg crate to get the Reef Octopus skimmer sitting at the desired height.

Newms118
10/03/2017, 08:23 PM
Why don't you just raise up the skimmer? I made a stand out of egg crate for my reef octopus xp-2000

You mean raise up the skimmer I currently have or the one you use? My sump has 10.5 inches of water, so how deep can you put the xp-2000? I don't think I'd be able to raise it too much simply because it would hit the bottom of my tank.

Newms118
10/03/2017, 08:24 PM
Same here, used egg crate to get the Reef Octopus skimmer sitting at the desired height.

How high is the water in your sump?