PDA

View Full Version : connecting multiple containers for a sump

mfinn
10/02/2017, 08:16 PM
A friend is doing a 350 gallon build and before I could advise him he bought a pre-made ( very expensive) sump system that consists of 4 separate containers.
If he wants to have approx. 1500-1800gph flow in the sump from container to container, what size bulkheads would he need for free flowing water, without starving the end container where the return pump will be?
How many, what size?
The containers will all be on the same level.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/02/2017, 09:06 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding the sales pitch for a "pre made" sump consisting of separate containers that don't have some "pre made" way to join them together!

How is the manufacturer or vendor proposing this system should work?

If it were me and I had no vendor support, and assuming it was 4 separate containers that all actually needed full flow linearly through all four, I'd use 2" bulkheads placed as low down as I could. Just one 2" pipe between each container. But do all 4 chambers need full flow? Can you have one as the "master" sump and then tee off the return line to get flow through the other four according to their needs?

mfinn
10/02/2017, 09:23 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding the sales pitch for a "pre made" sump consisting of separate containers that don't have some "pre made" way to join them together!

How is the manufacturer or vendor proposing this system should work?

If it were me and I had no vendor support, and assuming it was 4 separate containers that all actually needed full flow linearly through all four, I'd use 2" bulkheads placed as low down as I could. Just one 2" pipe between each container. But do all 4 chambers need full flow? Can you have one as the "master" sump and then tee off the return line to get flow through the other four according to their needs?

Trust me, if I had known about this, I would have put a screeching halt to it immediately.
The manufacture gives you the option for connecting them.
They have little divots in the plastic in multiple places for starting holes for a hole saw.
One of the containers is connected with a flow under connection.
They also sold him a few pumps that I think were suppose to have extra by-pass lines going every which way.
It's all in pieces and he tried drawing a diagram of what everything was suppose to do and after looking at the complicated mess, I said "hold on".
Just make it a simple single direction flow sump with each 3 of the containers connected with pvc and bulkheads.
He spend more on it than my 240 custom starfire tank did.

Is a single 2" line going to have enough vertical flow to keep up with 1800gph through 3 sections?

mfinn
10/03/2017, 01:21 PM
for what it's worth the brand is Seamless sumps.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/03/2017, 01:44 PM
If he's that invested in the system, I'm sure there's a phone number for support. Not trying to be unhelpful, but I'd hate to bastardize something that "valuable." I looked at their website and it seems like the different containers have specific intended uses and the way they're connected together plays into that. It looks like they're supposed to be turnkey and shouldn't require additional plumbing parts.

Otherwise, 2" bulkheads should have no problem keeping up with that kind of flow.

ca1ore
10/03/2017, 02:36 PM
Wow, that really does seem unnecessarily complex .......

mfinn
10/03/2017, 05:04 PM
Wow, that really does seem unnecessarily complex .......

and a huge waste of money.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/03/2017, 06:16 PM
It strikes me as one of those products that would be easy to perceive as really cool, in a total vacuum. Like, if you didn't know what a normal sump looked like, and had no concept whatsoever of how it should function, that might seem attractive and high end. But then as soon as you come to understand how well a 40br or standard 75g does with a handful of baffles glued in, the gloss wears off pretty quick.

In terms of cost, I've seen plenty of fancypants acrylic sumps with very traditional (read: ultimately, nothing special) designs that sold for more than that...

Lsufan
10/03/2017, 06:49 PM
I remember someone had posted a while back asking about these & they linked a couple u tube videos that may be helpful. I heard of a few people getting these but that was mainly because they couldn't get a regular sump inside of the stand.