PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Anemone Hosting Help

Frost_Hydra
10/02/2017, 10:25 PM
I recently purchased a Teardrop Ocellaris Clownfish (a breed of Amphiprion ocellaris) and a Green Bulb Anenome. I was hoping that the clownfish would host it, but since its tank raised it doesn't seem to even understand what it is. I read online that isolating the two for a small period of time may work, so I've been doing that for a few days. The anemone and clownfish both look healthy, but they're definitely not hosting. I was curious if anyone more experienced thinks that I should continue to do this (I plan to keep them isolated for 3 more days), or if it's a failed cause and/or is dangerous for the fish/anenome. The isolation chamber is a pasta strainer floating in my aquarium btw.

humphreyhh
10/02/2017, 10:55 PM
That anemone looks very stressed to me though. I would not recommend forcing relationship to happen in reef tanks. It's very stressful to the animals. It took 1 month for my clownfish to realize anemone is their home. It was surprising to see that they finally found out about it!

But I'm not totally opposing this method since many people get into this hobby because if clownfish and anemone...So just make sure animals are healthy and not too stressed...It might take some time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Frost_Hydra
10/02/2017, 11:23 PM
Thank you for your advice. Ill continue the isolation for the 3 more days, but after ill release them and let them take whatever course they want.

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 04:52 AM
Thank you for your advice. Ill continue the isolation for the 3 more days, but after ill release them and let them take whatever course they want.

Takes time. On my last tank, both my clownfish found their anemone in the first couple days, but I didn't ever force it. Eventually they should (I know it doesn't always happen), realize how awesome of a home the anemone is for them and take to it. Give it time and make sure that both the anemone and the clownfish are healthy and stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
10/03/2017, 05:04 AM
I have 2 tank raised clowns in a 125g tank with lots (8 to 10) RBTA's and in 4 months they have shown absolutely no interest. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Maybe as they mature and become a mated pair things will change. It's not an issue for the clowns or the anemone.

shaginwagon13
10/03/2017, 05:59 AM
I have 2 tank raised clowns in a 125g tank with lots (8 to 10) RBTA's and in 4 months they have shown absolutely no interest. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. Maybe as they mature and become a mated pair things will change. It's not an issue for the clowns or the anemone.

I have never tried this, but I have read some people play YouTube videos of clownfish hosting an anemone for their tank and the clownfish have seen it.

I know this sounds ridiculous but I would give it a go if I tried everything else and nothing was working.

ReeferNoob4ever
10/03/2017, 09:42 AM
Put them in your tank and let them fully adjust before worrying about hosting. Like Ron said, sometimes they just don't jive and thems the breaks.

Frost_Hydra
10/03/2017, 05:50 PM
Thank you guys for your replies, I printed a few pictures of clownfishes hosting and taped it onto the aquarium. Mind as well give it a shot! :)

Brieninsac
10/03/2017, 06:17 PM
Best advice, let nature take its course. I had two tank bred clowns and they took to my RBTA after a few months.

BeachVacationer
10/03/2017, 10:18 PM
Yup, I played a you tube video repeatedly for couple hours on my ipad placed flat on the glass of my tank. It worked!

Frost_Hydra
10/03/2017, 11:48 PM
The anemone mouth looked like it was halfway inside out which I would assume was from stress, so I decided to put it and the clownfish back into the tank. The anemone looks much better, but the clownfish is worrying me. He's been in the corner of the tank slamming into the wall for about 6 hours. I think he can see his reflection in the glass and thinks it's another fish. He's just been doing it nonstop though so I'm slightly worried. Any ideas on how to solve this, or should I just wait it out?

ca1ore
10/04/2017, 07:50 PM
I know this sounds ridiculous.

Doesn't just sound ridiculous ...... Everyone knows you just have to tape a picture to the side of the tank.

ca1ore
10/04/2017, 07:52 PM
BTW, the BTA is not a natural host for Ocellaris clowns - whether wild caught or captive bred. It's a 50:50 proposition at best on whether your clowns will view the BTA as an acceptable host. Get a natural host and you'll just about hear them go 'whoopee' and dive right in.

shaginwagon13
10/05/2017, 06:27 AM
Doesn't just sound ridiculous ...... Everyone knows you just have to tape a picture to the side of the tank.

You could try this....

https://youtu.be/g7pGnlGdP-E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frost_Hydra
10/05/2017, 10:23 AM
I've actually seen that video, the main issue was I didn't know where to get an acrylic tube like that. And I think he chose to do that because he had larger and more aggressive fish in his tank. The only other inhabitants I have is a Carpenter Wrasse, Cleaner Shrimp, and some snails. If I can find a tube though, ill try it, Thanks