PDA

View Full Version : New person here

Jekerry
10/03/2017, 06:39 AM
Hello everyone! 30 some years ago I had tanks with fresh and salt fish. After moving across the country I got out of the hobby. Last year we put in a pond and after a year with water plants we added two beautiful goldfish. That led us to going into fish stores, which led to us bringing home a used 55 gallon corner tank with a sump. Anyway, I want to try a reef tank. Always wanted to do that! Thus I find myself here. We tested for leaks, got the sump system running and added some live and regular aquarium sand. Now the sand storm is clearing I can see we do not have enough so will be scouting some out. There seems to be a couple really nice salt water fish stores here in Rochester NY, so I'll be seeing if any of them have live sand and rocks to get that started this weekend. Any words of warning? I read a lot of the beginners thread during my lunch break yesterday so have a vague idea of the trouble I am bringing into my life. So much more complex then fish only! But I love a challenge and since we are both engineers, I think this hobby will fit our type of crazy.

Ron Reefman
10/04/2017, 05:01 AM
Now the sand storm is clearing I can see we do not have enough so will be scouting some out. There seems to be a couple really nice salt water fish stores here in Rochester NY, so I'll be seeing if any of them have live sand and rocks to get that started this weekend. Any words of warning? I read a lot of the beginners thread during my lunch break yesterday so have a vague idea of the trouble I am bringing into my life. So much more complex then fish only! But I love a challenge and since we are both engineers, I think this hobby will fit our type of crazy.

Don't waste your money on live sand. Even dead dry rock becomes live rock in a few weeks. So if you are willing to take your time (which is crazy important in this hobby) you can save a few bucks.

I struggled quite a bit my first few years in this hobby, but eventually you get the hang of it. And you will find it gets easier as your tank matures over a year or two. You'll also buy more 'stuff' that will help make things easier.

Two warnings IMHO.
1) Half the stuff on the shelves of your LFS is snake oil and you don't need any of it. And take your time buying any new equipment. I use WAY less now than I did when I was just a couple of years into the hobby.
2) Nothing good happens quickly in a marine aquarium. Enjoy what you have in the tank as you travel along the road to what you want. It's taken me 10 years to get to where I am today and I love the look of my tank and the variety of animals I can keep in the tank.

Good luck, welcome to Reef Central and ask questions. Just remember when you do, 10 people will give you 15 different answers. We aren't trying to confuse you, there are just so many different ways to accomplish keeping a healthy tank.:thumbsup:

Jekerry
10/04/2017, 07:35 AM
Thank you so much for the advice Ron Reefman! Right now I have the sump filter, a salt swing arm style tester, and a heater I put in the sump. What else would you recommend to get started? This there a good test kit I can get to make sure I can watch my water quality? Do I need a skimmer at this point, or should that wait until I start adding creatures? I’m not sure if I need a water purification system since the water here in the Greece/Hilton area of Rochester NY is supposed to be really good. I plan to bring a sample to a place called The Reef Shoppe here in town to get their take. They have a really good reputation and put huge tanks in lots of local businesses around here. I figure I should get to know them early on for guidance and heathy critters.

tjm9331
10/04/2017, 08:19 AM
Thank you so much for the advice Ron Reefman! Right now I have the sump filter, a salt swing arm style tester, and a heater I put in the sump. What else would you recommend to get started? This there a good test kit I can get to make sure I can watch my water quality? Do I need a skimmer at this point, or should that wait until I start adding creatures? Iím not sure if I need a water purification system since the water here in the Greece/Hilton area of Rochester NY is supposed to be really good. I plan to bring a sample to a place called The Reef Shoppe here in town to get their take. They have a really good reputation and put huge tanks in lots of local businesses around here. I figure I should get to know them early on for guidance and heathy critters.

one thing I would suggest is get rid of the hydrometer (the arm swing style tester) and get yourself a refractometer a little more expensive but reasonable on Amazon. The swing arm style testers are not reliable at all, you'll get much better and more accurate readings with a refracometer. You don't NEED a skimmer right now but if you plan on adding one now would be a good time so that it can break in before you add livestock.

You'll also want to pick yourself up a TDS meter, also fairly cheap on Amazon. Even though your water is supposed to be really good you'd be surprised what the TDS meter reads when you test it. I haven't heard of any tap water having 0 TDS and that's what you're shooting for so having an RODI system is one of the best investments in this hobby.

Krzydmnd
10/04/2017, 08:39 AM
And find out if your municipality uses chloramine in the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jekerry
10/04/2017, 09:27 AM
What do I do if it has chloramine? I don’t remember worrying about that years ago when I had tanks. I did tend to top off with bottled water back then.

Krzydmnd
10/04/2017, 01:34 PM
Prime is what I use for chloramine. A little treats a lot of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jekerry
10/04/2017, 01:36 PM
Thank you the prime info!

James404
10/04/2017, 01:39 PM
I agree the first thing I would start off with is a good RODI unit. Save yourself tons of headaches in the future.

Jekerry
10/04/2017, 01:45 PM
Ok will look into a RODI. Our water does not have chloramine! Yay!

ericarenee
10/04/2017, 01:45 PM
hi Welcome to reef central...

I agree with Ron 100% One of those things in my opinion that is more hassle then they are worth. is a Refractometer.. I use glass hydrometer for calibration and testing against my daily swing arm hydrometer...

Good luck and welcome

ReeferNoob4ever
10/04/2017, 02:24 PM
WELCOME!

I have been using a hydrometer for years (the same one I bought in 2003). I just clean it with vinegar from time to time and it's golden. Personal preference but this is a prime example of what Ron was alluding to...many different approaches to keeping a healthy tank. Do what works best for you!