PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp compatibility question

brett559
10/03/2017, 10:49 AM
I've always kept shrimp-eaters (hogs, hawks, halichoeres wrasses), so I've never tried keeping shrimp before.

My new nano will only have shrimp-safe fish. So my question is can I get two kinds of shrimp? Can a cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp co-exist with each other?

EdgeN
10/03/2017, 10:57 AM
Exactly how big is the tank?

Different kinds of shrimp can coexist together, but there needs to be plenty of room for this to happen. If they're constantly bumping into each other things could get a little tense.

brett559
10/03/2017, 11:00 AM
20g Red Sea Max nano.

EdgeN
10/03/2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah it can work, but once that tank is full of rocks, corals etc that cleaner shrimp, especially an adult can be more trouble than it's worth in a tank that size. Constantly walking all over everything, stealing food etc. Being that the fire shrimp is more reclusive, a pair of these would be a better fit IMO. GL.

Uncle99
10/03/2017, 11:42 AM
Yup, the fireshrimp, but I would only put 1 in that size, a pair seems uneccessary since the animal is both female and male.

Ron Reefman
10/04/2017, 05:48 AM
Just don't consider a coral banded shrimp. I know some tolerate other shrimp, but my experence has been 100% they eat any other shrimp.

I moved 2 small yellow coral banded shrimp into a 125g tank that had 2 cleaner shrimp. I was consolidating livestock after hurricane Irma forced me on a generator. In just 2 days both of the cleaner shrimp were gone.