PDA

View Full Version : Flame Hawkfish disease ID, scared its uronema

tmnigat
10/03/2017, 12:31 PM
Backstory, I purchased a bonded pair of Flame hawkfish from divers den a while back. I put them through 6 weeks of observation in QT and both seemed healthy the entire time. Only thing that was wrong was the two didn't act very "bonded" at all. They would stay on opposite sides of the tank and the larger one would chase around the smaller during feeding time. They both ate but it was very clear who was dominant. Fast forward, they've been in the display tank for a few weeks and established territories at opposite sides of the tank (150 gallon 5ftx2ftx2ft). The larger one still chases the small one whenever he/she tries to cross sides.

Well the other day the smaller hawkfish I noticed didn't look very good at all, his color was very pale and he just didn't look healthy. I managed to catch him and move him into a Hospital Tank (Used water from DT). My immediate reaction was he was stressed out from the other hawkfish constantly dominating him/her. I was hoping the HT would help him calm down and come back around. I asked my LFS about the situation, he told me I probably was given to male hawkfish and that the smaller one was "coloring down" to show he wasn't a threat to the larger, and just scared to death.

I get home the other day, this is about 3-4 days in the HT when the little guy is dead :( The fish had a very large sore on his side. I'm thinking it may of been there the day before but smaller, it's hard to remember since the fish is naturally red and I thought it might just be his color starting to come back.

Now the question is, where did this sore come from and why did he die? I'm very worried it was uronema as the fish rapidly lost his color and then died with a very large seemingly bloody sore on his side. I have about 10 fish in the DT still and all are seemingly healthy. Any advice?

In tank losing color:
https://i.imgur.com/hxgAJGD.jpg

In HT, barely any color:
https://i.imgur.com/tzhlUWF.png

Dead :(
https://i.imgur.com/Wv7Z6JE.jpg

JustinM
10/03/2017, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry but I think you're correct with the diagnosis.

tmnigat
10/03/2017, 02:37 PM
I'm sorry but I think you're correct with the diagnosis.

:headwallblue:

So what do I do now? Is something that will wipe out my current livestock? Will i be okay if I stay away from damsels/chromis? I've already gone fallow in my tank twice from ich, I know uronema can live through the fallow period so i'm guessing it was in the tank from my last fallout... I'm really not trying to completely reset my 150g...

JustinM
10/03/2017, 03:03 PM
Uronema can live without effecting your livestock. It may only cause issues when a cut, scratch, etc. is present. If you are not trying to break down your tank to steralize, I would definitely QT all incoming fish to make sure they are 100% free from cuts and what not.

Jdub968
10/03/2017, 04:32 PM
Uronema can live without effecting your livestock. It may only cause issues when a cut, scratch, etc. is present. If you are not trying to break down your tank to steralize, I would definitely QT all incoming fish to make sure they are 100% free from cuts and what not.

JustinM I know it's not possible to dose metroplex to a DT water, but if all inverts were removed from the DT and dosed with metroplex would this kill the uronema. I've never had to treat uronema but often wondered if this would work!

scuzy
10/03/2017, 04:38 PM
Don't think that's possible. As uronema once in your system is there. Nothing I have read kills it except for double dose of cp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JustinM
10/03/2017, 05:12 PM
From my readings on another site, it may eradicate the disease but it has not been tested and confirmed.

Jdub968
10/03/2017, 08:27 PM
Good to know thanks