PDA

View Full Version : Complete rebuild because of aptasia

Aslmx
10/03/2017, 04:24 PM
How can I keep my fish and coral while I do a complete rebuild of my display?

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 04:58 PM
Put them in something else? give us more info and we can give you a better answer..
BUT
An aiptasia problem does not require a tear down of a tank..

Get your nutrients lower and look into predators like matted filefish, berghia nudibranch, peppermint shrimps,etc...
They are not unstoppable by any means and are relatively easy to control/eliminate..

Brieninsac
10/03/2017, 05:16 PM
Have you tried Aptasia-X?

Aslmx
10/03/2017, 05:17 PM
120 gallon. I have 2- tangs 2- clowns and soft corals. Tank is 3 years old and I have been almost obnoxious about dipping and adding anything to my tank but some how the things got started and they are out of control. I have never had luck with peppermint shrimp and I've thought about a copper band or file fish but wouldn't that be just 1 more fish to deal with if I have to do a rebuild. " Put them in something else" wouldn't that be starting another tank with another cycle? I would love to just house them in something else but I'm afraid of harming the live stock. My clowns are 10 years old and have heavy sentimental value.

Aslmx
10/03/2017, 05:19 PM
Have you tried Aptasia-X?

Way too many to spot kill

mcgyvr
10/03/2017, 05:45 PM
Get nutrients down.. get filefish.. enjoy...
You can take the filefish back to the store when they are gone..

If you don't want to put them in something else how were you expecting to restart the tank? I guess you could take out a few rocks at a time and nuke them.. blah...
Just get a matted filefish and give it a month or so..

ericarenee
10/03/2017, 06:27 PM
when i had a aiptasia issue . I went all out

Got 10 Peppermint shrimp a Tank raised (on aiptasia) File Fish and a Copper Band Butterfly..

Guess how many aiptasia i have in my Tank.. File fish and CBB are nice additions and are now eating what ever i feed them The shrimp we see from time to time of the night but i cant say how many we still have..
a reef tank is about finding balance and adjusting to keep it. If you tear down every time there is a issue you will be tearing down a lot and learning not much
Sorry if this is so direct..

Good Luck

Aslmx
10/03/2017, 06:58 PM
Get nutrients down.. get filefish.. enjoy...
You can take the filefish back to the store when they are gone..

If you don't want to put them in something else how were you expecting to restart the tank? I guess you could take out a few rocks at a time and nuke them.. blah...
Just get a matted filefish and give it a month or so.. what I was getting at ,was it safe to remove some rock and treat it. A rebuild not a restart. I'll see if I can find a file fish. I'd love to have a copperband but they are hit or miss from what I'm reading.

Aslmx
10/03/2017, 07:02 PM
when i had a aiptasia issue . I went all out

Got 10 Peppermint shrimp a Tank raised (on aiptasia) File Fish and a Copper Band Butterfly..

Guess how many aiptasia i have in my Tank.. File fish and CBB are nice additions and are now eating what ever i feed them The shrimp we see from time to time of the night but i cant say how many we still have..
a reef tank is about finding balance and adjusting to keep it. If you tear down every time there is a issue you will be tearing down a lot and learning not much
Sorry if this is so direct..

Good Luck thanks. I've been in this hobby for 11 years. I've fought algae, cyano and ich but this out break has almost made me want to take a break and sell out.

coralfish
10/03/2017, 07:08 PM
+1 on the file fish recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericarenee
10/03/2017, 07:48 PM
i think removing the rock is a very bad idea. you could just cause your infestation to grow.

go at it with file fish or cbb.. both of mine came from Divers den. use aiptasia x on the larger ones you can reach ..

CTaylor
10/03/2017, 07:48 PM
+2 on britstle tail file fish. (same matted??). I only one time saw him pick at an aptaisia. But they were all gone within a week. I think he took a few days to get adjusted to my tank first. He never picked at anything else even after the aips were long gone. I had zoo's mushrooms, spa, acros, torch, etc... Didn't touch them at all. I kept him well fed, twice a day on meaty foods. Some times there were a 1-2 day time frame he got no food b/c I wasn't home and no one could feed him. But he still didn't seem to damage anything. I had him for 5 months before hurricane irma killed 'him' and everything else with power outage. The coolest fish I ever owned even after the did his job :) . I know they are supposed to be super hit or miss. But I think if you keep them well fed you have a really good chance.
* i got mine from LA (live aquaria).. maybe their breed source is less prone to eat corals , etc , he was captive born

HippieSmell
10/03/2017, 11:31 PM
Yup, I had a massive aiptasia problem. Peppermints didn't work. Berghia didn't work.

Bristletail filefish work. My cbb eats them too, but they're not as hardy as filefish. Fantastic fish. Full of personality, color changing, and useful.

moondoggy4
10/04/2017, 12:38 AM
Berghias work great but you cannot have fish that eats them.

johnike
10/04/2017, 03:18 AM
Toss a Raccoon Butterfly in.
Goodbye Aiptasia.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/04/2017, 05:26 AM
I don't know if I've ever had a tank without aptasia. I've also never had a tank where they got out of control. If I see one, I remove it, or crush it. If that doesn't work, I get a blob of super glue on a bamboo skewer and smear it to death. I've never had one come back after that treatment and most people probably already have super glue near the tank so it takes little effort or prep.

I know you said there are too many to manually treat, but for the sake of newbs who might be reading this, the REAL key, IME, is to not let them get out of control in the first place. Consider looking for (and destroying) pests as part of your regular maintenance.

mcgyvr
10/04/2017, 05:48 AM
the REAL key, IME, is to not let them get out of control in the first place.

Thats why I mentioned "reduce nutrients" as I've personally found that aiptasia populations seem to increase as the quality of your water decreases..
On tanks where I have let nutrients build the aiptasia population followed and once I got them back in control the aiptasia decreased..

I have been lucky lately and have not seen one it a good year and a half and hope to never see one again..

der_wille_zur_macht
10/04/2017, 08:18 AM
I've had three since I started my current tank 6 months ago. I'm happy with that number.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but I've often wondered if they have a place in a refugium, especially if someone is trying for natural filtration and using other techniques like macro algae for nutrient export and a cryptic zone for sponges etc. Aiptasia grow so well - and you could cycle rock through your display where a filefish could be kept to eat them and close the loop of nutrient processing.

Bpb
10/04/2017, 09:03 AM
You guys are making me feel better about my decision to order an ORA captive aiptasia eating filefish. I'd love to add peppermints also but my wrasses are pretty lethal and I have no doubt they'd dine like kings on an army of peppermints long before they could make a dent in the aiptasia.

In my experience Aiptasia is one of those situations that is nearly impossible to avoid entirely. You have to start with dry rock. And only get corals from higher end, more selective aquaculture facilities and just be ultra diligent of what you get in the water. Even a frag plug harboring a tiny aiptasia spore can result in a full infestation.

Starting over will pretty much just guarantee that you'll be putting in alot of work to have the same problem arise. The best we can do is be diligent with controlling them. I've had them get out of hand as well and it is beyond irritating. Problem is manual removal becomes super tedious and its easy to forget or put off dealing with, but procrastinating can result in massive outbreaks.

I like biological control methods because they do the work for you, but they all come with setbacks too. Most fish that eat aiptasia will also consume some types of corals, and if you have any predatory fish peppermints are out.

HippieSmell
10/04/2017, 09:12 AM
I don't know if I've ever had a tank without aptasia. I've also never had a tank where they got out of control. If I see one, I remove it, or crush it. If that doesn't work, I get a blob of super glue on a bamboo skewer and smear it to death. I've never had one come back after that treatment and most people probably already have super glue near the tank so it takes little effort or prep.

I know you said there are too many to manually treat, but for the sake of newbs who might be reading this, the REAL key, IME, is to not let them get out of control in the first place. Consider looking for (and destroying) pests as part of your regular maintenance.
Prevention is best, no doubt. But, if you keep a reef long enough, lapses in maintenance are almost bound to happen. That's what happened to me. Tank goes on autopilot and squashing those early aiptasia doesn't happen.

Leave them in the sump, though! That's where they shine and their bad attributes become helpful. Spores, or whatever they are, constantly make it into the display, grow, and provide snacks for my bristletails and cbb.

leetch
10/04/2017, 11:44 AM
Filesfish.....years ago when I had an outbreak my filefish cleared the tank in a week. Fun to watch them sneak up and suck out the aiptasia. Don't tear down the tank, it's a nightmare when you interrupt the community and could make things even worse in the future.

hkgar
10/04/2017, 12:18 PM
Okay, all at once let's shout FILEFISH.

I had Manjano (similar to Aptasia, but different) and my Matted Filefish took care of it all. Sure I can se some in cracks and crevices from time to time but then poof gone.

Darn (mods, am I allowed to use that other word?) fish is so ugly he's cute!

der_wille_zur_macht
10/04/2017, 12:23 PM
Prevention is best, no doubt. But, if you keep a reef long enough, lapses in maintenance are almost bound to happen. That's what happened to me. Tank goes on autopilot and squashing those early aiptasia doesn't happen.

Absolutely. My comments earlier were definitely not intended as finger wagging towards experienced hobbyists, but literally just as a warning for newcomers who might not realize the value in jumping on pests aggressively the instant they appear. We all have things in life that distract us from our tanks, which is a different situation than just ignorantly (the innocent kind of ignorance) watching a pest take over before you think about doing anything.