PDA

View Full Version : Moving

mgparsons1
10/03/2017, 06:51 PM
I might be moving soon. Our drive will be 2 to 3 days after I break down the tank. What would be the best and easiest way to safely transport our fish or would it be better to sell our fish and start over to ensure the fish survive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
10/03/2017, 07:04 PM
Can you give a description of your system?

How attached are you to the setup/equipment/livestock?

2 or 3 days is a long time, and moving is already going to be stressful. Unless you have some really prized livestock, I would be tempted to sell anything alive, pack the dry goods, and start over.

If you have special livestock, I would be tempted to find a temporary home for them with a friend until you can get established, then find a way to get them into your new system.

mgparsons1
10/03/2017, 07:08 PM
I don't have any fancy fish. Most are pretty common fish but I do love my sailfin. I thought the ride would be to stressful also. Thanks for your input.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/03/2017, 07:16 PM
I'm sure you could do it with success. Probably right on the border of the two major options. For shorter trips, I would keep them warm and aerated in open containers with battery air pumps or an inverter running off the car's 12v. For longer trips I would bag them with oxygen and keep them slightly cooler than normal temps - as if they were being shipped.

But, again, I think the challenge is that this is happening at the same time as you're moving your whole house, which is pretty stressful with a billion little details. Not the type of trip that's conducive to keeping sensitive fish alive.

ericarenee
10/03/2017, 07:22 PM
can you get a LFS or fellow reefer in the area you are moving to or moving from to hold them until you get your tank set back up..

Ship them over night. Either before you move or a few days later.... depending on what location you find to have them held at..

Good Luck

mgparsons1
10/03/2017, 07:54 PM
thank you

tkeracer619
10/04/2017, 09:33 AM
IME it is best to start over. A move is hard enough on its own but then adding a bunch of living things into the mix overly complicates and adds a ton of stress. If you lose control of water quality on the trip you won't be able to regain it. It always takes longer to set the tank back up than anticipated so factor that in as well.