PDA

View Full Version : Which tangs are real reef safe?

Tanthaitrung
10/04/2017, 05:17 AM
Hi guys,

I have a 900 liter tank with a Purple, a Blue, a Powder Blue, an Achilles and two of Yellow tangs. The biggest is the Purple, that starts nipping Goniopora.

I used to pick out a Sohal and Clown tang that killed my torch coral. I will catch the Purple but I think maybe the Yellow will nip my coral, is that right?

There is so much information that Sohal, Clown, Purple ... are reef safe fishes but :(

Please show me a real reef safe fish list.

Thanks in advance

nereefpat
10/04/2017, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't put a clown or sohal tang in a 900L (240gal). They go postal, even in big tanks, which could have been part of the problem.

The purple giving you trouble would be unusual, as would a yellow.

I have had to get rid of two tangs because of them eating corals: a kole and a regal. The regal was very surprising to me, because it's more of a planktivore. But again...maybe too small of a tank.

Fairy wrasses, bassletts, cardinals, dottybacks, hawkfish would all be completely reef safe. I know that doesn't help much.

Dmorty217
10/04/2017, 09:22 AM
If your tangs are eating your corals its most likely because of lack of algae in their diets. How often and what do you feed the tangs? Clowns and Sohals are unpredictable and always very aggressive but there are plenty of instances where they are kept with corals and never touch them. Like mentioned above tangs will also do this if the tank is too small sometimes, but a 240g is plenty big enough for a purple or yellow

saf1
10/04/2017, 10:02 AM
I've always liked Kole and Purple tangs. Recently saw a White Tail that I really liked and an adult Chevron. I'm also considering one or two tangs for my 240 but mine may be smaller in size at 54" wide but 30x30" depth and height. I'll probably stay with the Kole since the rest of the tangs are all pushing 200 US dollars and find both small angels that are soft coral friendly with maybe one or two larger ones.

Was or is there a rule of adding similar body style or family of tangs? Like a purple and yellow or Kole, etc? It has been a while since I had a mature tang but I seem to recall my purple and yellow not liking each other when I had a larger tang before. Or maybe it was the Kole and purple...didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry.

ca1ore
10/04/2017, 12:24 PM
Never had any problems with tangs picking at corals. They pick on each other, but not on the inverts. Agree with Dmorty, probably means they are underfed.

nereefpat
10/04/2017, 02:49 PM
In my case, I think I was just unlucky. Lack of food, especially greens, is never a problem. There is always nori on the clip.

SoloChromis
10/04/2017, 04:12 PM
Provide a consistent source of algae in their diet and you should be fine with 99% of tangs.

ca1ore
10/04/2017, 05:16 PM
In my case, I think I was just unlucky. Lack of food, especially greens, is never a problem. There is always nori on the clip.

Though the regal/hippo is an incredibly neurotic fish that can develop unusual behaviors. I said above that mine never ate inverts, but my regal is a fragging machine. Always breaking off SPS arms.

Tanthaitrung
10/04/2017, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't put a clown or sohal tang in a 900L (240gal). They go postal, even in big tanks, which could have been part of the problem.

The purple giving you trouble would be unusual, as would a yellow.

I have had to get rid of two tangs because of them eating corals: a kole and a regal. The regal was very surprising to me, because it's more of a planktivore. But again...maybe too small of a tank.

Fairy wrasses, bassletts, cardinals, dottybacks, hawkfish would all be completely reef safe. I know that doesn't help much.
Thanks for your sharing

You mean my Purple is an individual?

Tanthaitrung
10/04/2017, 06:32 PM
If your tangs are eating your corals its most likely because of lack of algae in their diets. How often and what do you feed the tangs? Clowns and Sohals are unpredictable and always very aggressive but there are plenty of instances where they are kept with corals and never touch them. Like mentioned above tangs will also do this if the tank is too small sometimes, but a 240g is plenty big enough for a purple or yellow
Provide a consistent source of algae in their diet and you should be fine with 99% of tangs.
Thanks for your replies

I feed them twice a day, once pellet, once nori. Every other day soak pellet with vita-chem. Twice a week, feed them atermia (the most favorite food of them). Do you think it's enough?

nereefpat
10/05/2017, 07:24 AM
Though the regal/hippo is an incredibly neurotic fish that can develop unusual behaviors. I said above that mine never ate inverts, but my regal is a fragging machine. Always breaking off SPS arms.

Odd fish, for sure.

Thanks for your sharing

You mean my Purple is an individual?

By not having trouble with one, I was saying that it would be really unusual for it to harm corals.

Dmorty217
10/05/2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks for your replies

I feed them twice a day, once pellet, once nori. Every other day soak pellet with vita-chem. Twice a week, feed them atermia (the most favorite food of them). Do you think it's enough?

I've had tangs (and plenty of other fish for that matter) that I could feed every time I walked past the tank and they would eat all the food I could throw in. Obviously water quality and high nutrients then becomes a issue. I would up your feedings to 3 times a day and see if the behavior changes or not. Some feed their tanks 5 or more times a day, just smaller amounts to not effect water quality

Tanthaitrung
10/05/2017, 06:17 PM
I've had tangs (and plenty of other fish for that matter) that I could feed every time I walked past the tank and they would eat all the food I could throw in. Obviously water quality and high nutrients then becomes a issue. I would up your feedings to 3 times a day and see if the behavior changes or not. Some feed their tanks 5 or more times a day, just smaller amounts to not effect water quality
Many thanks. Will up my feedings

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:21 AM
IMO, I don't think there is truly no pure reef-safe fish. I have seen Starry Blenny, Kole Tang, and had a Christmas wrasse nip coral. The wrasse went after duncans, torches/hammers, and GSP. I could not believe it. The kole and starry was nipping at SPS.