PDA

View Full Version : Marine velvet or Ich? (Pic)

Moto_fish
10/04/2017, 05:49 AM
https://i.imgur.com/pa6urxD.jpg
Is this marine velvet or ich? 2 tanks running, 34G and 190G/ I know the 190 had ich, my foxface would get 1 or 2 max spots when he was hungry, but I recently added some frags to both, from the same source, and my pink skunk clowns *in the 34G were dead within 48 hours. My 190g inhabitants seemed fine for 3ish days, then overnight went to this. Mag. Foxface, cb butterfly, 2 false Percs and a flame hawk. Clowns are showing nothing, but all are in QT With cupramine. Flame hawk just had a fw dip as well. I have a 6line Im really struggling to get out of the 190G, then it can begin its fallow period. This isnt the fun part of reefing :(
1. How old is this aquarium?
7 months
2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?
zero
3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured?
4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium?
8 weeks ago
5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How?
No, came from a fellow reefer. CBB and flame hawk
6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When?
Cupramine. 3x a day using an API test (not a fan thus far)
7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
NA
8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
Foxface - big white protrusions, with black circles/shadowing around them. CBB light spotting on fins. Clowns, nothing. f
9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?
Erratic, I believe from QT though.
10. Is the fish eating? What?
yes, LRS and Mysis(for the CBB)

Jdub968
10/04/2017, 06:22 AM
The spots do resemble velvet and the rate that the fish died is also a velvet indicator. Your doing a good job the fish are in qt and using cupramine however you are using the wrong test kit you need a seachem or salifert test kit, Api is for chelated copper.
If you don't have one I would get an air stone running in the tank and a fresh water dip can help clear the gills of slime to help breathing also and Acriflavine bath is generally suggested with velvet to help with secondary infections, it's a good idea to have an antibiotic on hand (furan2,Kanaplex,and metroplex)

JustinM
10/04/2017, 02:10 PM
They say if you can count the spots it's ich and I can count the spots. It literally looks like salt was sprinkled on the fish. With velvet, from the first spot to being unable to count how many there are, is usually within 24 hours.

If you know you had ich, I would believe it to be ich. Sometimes fish just succumb to it. It really damages the gills.

As Jdub has said, get ionic copper test kit and look out for secondary infections. Those 3 meds he mentioned are great to have on hand. Don't forget it's 76 days fallow.

Moto_fish
10/05/2017, 05:12 AM
Came home from a 13.5hr shift to a dead butterfly, male clown swimming upside down, and the hawkfish looking AWFUL. Foxface is erratic, but that's his personality in the big tank too so it's hard to tell. Ammonia badge isn't reading anything, testing with an actual test kit As I type (edit:between .25-.50ppm-tested ) I will never again Not QT a fish, idk what I'm going to do about the coral situation though. This sucks real bad.

Don't know if it's because I ODed them - wrong test kit, however I should have only been up to a 3/4 dose based on the bottlle

Suffocated them due to a lack of air stone. Heavy flow in the tank though with tons of surface aggitation. Bummed either way.

Did a 50% water change from the display, seems to be helping the survivors immensely already.

Also in regards to the antibiotic post; I do have sulfaplex on hand, will this work if I have any survivors/for future use

Dmorty217
10/05/2017, 07:31 AM
I don't use cupramine because of what you experienced with your fish. Plenty of people use cupramine religiously without any issues but every time I have used it or any other copper medication for that matter, all fish stop eating and won't return to eating until the cupramine/copper is removed. I prefer Chloroquine Phosphate for proactive treatment of new arrivals for ich and velvet in QT

Jdub968
10/05/2017, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry about your fish, keep in mind you tried! I do have a few ?'s
Was you using any other products like (water conditioner, stress gaurd,ect) with the copper?
Here's the thing with copper when you treat a fish prophylactically copper levels can be raised slowly over 5 days allowing the fish time to adjust. When ick or especially velvet is present the levels have to raise more rapidly and this causes a problem for the fish being able to acclimate but with velvet primarily if you can't get the cu levels thereputic fast the fish probably will die. During this time you can help by giving freshwater and or Acriflavine dips/ baths these don't kill the parasites but help clear the gills or mucus so the fish can breath better and Acriflavine is an anticeptic which helps with secondary infections caused by all the parasite bite marks.
I would proceed like this. The clown is probably not going to make it I would remove him check cu levels with a new kit if cu is at .35 you can slow down the rate you are adding cu, if cu is over .5 do a small WC and get it down but don't go bellow .35 ppm. If the fish are breathing heavy give them a freshwater dip. I would do daily wc's to keep water quality perfect to try and avoid a secondary infection, remember to dose cu to your water before adding it to the qt this maintains cu levels and top off water does not need to be dosed with cu. here's the math to figure out how much cupramine to add to your water (.381) x (desired cu level) x ( amount of water) =(dose to be added)
So if you want cu levels @ .5 and your adding 2 gallons it's
.381x.5x2=.381

JustinM
10/05/2017, 12:32 PM
Was this a newly setup QT?

Moto_fish
10/05/2017, 01:21 PM
Was this a newly setup QT?

Yes, but using existing tank water. Clowns look good rn, going to stop on my way to work and get a proper test kit, but won't be home for another 14 hours so we shall see. Doing another small water change before I leave for work.

Not using prime or anything. Do I need to be using RO water or can I use treated tap for a qt?