PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with required equipment withEshopps 3rd Generation Refugiums R200

my5girls
10/04/2017, 06:10 AM
Eshopps 3rd Generation Refugiums R200.. looking at this for my 125 set up...This is a new set up. I know I need an overflow box, tubing, return pump, etc. I also want an in sump skimmer and heater, possibly UV sterilizer.

I need help! My tank is 72x18x18. Can anyone please break this down to kindergarten level for this stressed one. My brain is swimming right now with all the options. Brand names and sizes totally appreciated. Tank will be fish and live rock for now, may eventually venture into easy to keep corals.

Good hang on back overflow box? (tank is not drilled)
Tubing? I just going from tank to bottom of stand.
Return Pumps? Variable speed worth it?
Powerheads...no idea on these.
In Sump skimmer....was thinking of Reef Octopus
UV sterilizer suggestions, or not necessary?
In sump heater sggestions?
LED Lighting suggestions...would like to just support fish and live rock for now.

How do I protect against sump overflow if the power goes out while I am gone?
Are there any sump "kits" that come with all overflow boxes, plumbing and pumps? That would make it so much easier! LOL!

zooman72
10/04/2017, 07:48 AM
1) Eshopps makes an overflow box, as does Marine Depot and others - they all function the same way, but get noisy if pushing sufficient water through them. Look into a "Hofer gurgle buster" if using one.
2) Drain tubing can be obtained from the same vendor as the overflow typically - you just need to know how long you need it to be. I prefer the grey flex tubing.
3. Look into which pumps get consistently high ratings, and determine what size matches the overflow ratings, factoring in head loss (should be close via estimate). Variable speed can be useful and allow one to adjust flow to better "match" the overflow, but even non-variable flow pumps can be restricted easily. You have to decide if the extra cost (if there is any) is worth it.
4. Flow is dependent on what you want to keep. You don't have to spend a lot to get significant flow, but one does typically pay for reliability or extra features. Determine what you want feature-wise and how much flow you want (and where you want it), and check the ratings over the long term.
5. UV sterilizers have their use, but if fish are properly quarantined before the are placed in the display aquarium, then one has to ask what they are trying to accomplish with one. They are often used for other than disease prevention as they can also kill certain algaes for example.
6. Again, lots of options, and for greatest safety, typically paired with controllers in larger systems. Just make sure they will fit in the sump section you intend to place them.
7. For non-photosynthetic lighting, any lower power lighting will suffice, but if the goal is to move on to photosynthetic inverts, then one should install it initially to begin with. If one asks for which light is the best, you will get dozens of personal opinions, so try to observe options firsthand so that you can make an informed personal decision. It again comes down to what you want to accomplish and how much you want to spend for "extra" features. Even many cheaper LED fixtures (i.e. Chinese black boxes) will light the aquarium well and grow corals without issue. Higher end fixtures have features or form factors that may or may not be worth it. Look at what others that have been very successful (i.e. have very nice aquariums) use, and determine if that is what you want and can afford.
8. A sump of the correct size will have plenty of room for power loss drainage.
9. Don't know of any "kits" out there currently, but again, this is really not that difficult to get it right - research it well.

Good luck!

LQT
10/04/2017, 03:48 PM
I have that same sump, although mine will be underneath a drilled 57 gallon tank. Because of your tank volume I’d go with a dual drain overflow box thereby increasing flow and utilizing both drain inlets on the sump.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Marine_Depot_Overflow_Box_OF_1200_External_Overflow_Boxes_for_Aquariums-Marine_Depot-MD8135-FIOFEB-vi.html

As said above, look into replacing the overflow box prefilter sponges with twin Hofer gurgle busters or Stockman standpipes. Back when I had an overflow box tank, I used a Stockman standpipe... made the overflow box virtually silent.

The refugium section is quite small yet deep at 8x10x15. Mine will be lit with a Kessil H80 fuge light and will have a small powerhead in that section to provide some circulation in there as Eshopps designed that section to be fairly low flow.

The skimmer section is quite large at 12x14 with an adjustable baffle to raise or lower the water level. That will give you decent options for skimmers and maybe a reactor. I’m going with a 24” Lifereef Skimmer and an Aquamaxx FR-S nano reactor to run carbon on occaision.

The return section is the biggest drawback of this sump IMO. It is very narrow, which limits you in return pump choices. Again, my tank is fairly small compared to yours so I’ll be running a Tunze DC 1073.05. For your tank size, if going with a DC pump, I’d go with the new Sicce SDC controllable pumps as they are fairly narrow in width, no wider than 4 or so inches I believe.

LQT
10/04/2017, 04:27 PM
Oh yeah, if you’re going to use the hang on overflow box, then the gray flex hoses that come with the sump should work fine.

christopherjudd
10/04/2017, 05:53 PM
With hob overflow, lifereef would be my only option.