PDA

View Full Version : Coral light exhaustion

jlmawp
10/04/2017, 11:28 AM
Lately, I've noticed that my torches, acan, and duncan (to a degree) have been shriveling up towards the end of the day, before the lights go off. Currently, I have my light (stock eHeim light for Aquastyle (https://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Power-LED-Full-Spectrum/dp/B006G0C5R4)) set to be on from 11:00am to 8:00pm, or 9 hours. It gets a decent amount of morning light as well, but nothing intense or direct.

I'm wondering if I need to decrease the time period for the coral. I don't want to sacrifice display viewing time in the evening, but I also don't want to damage the corals if they are getting light exhaustion. Is that even a serious concern I should have? Should I maybe shift to 8 hours or less? Is there an ideal, universal time that tends to work well?

ktownhero
10/04/2017, 12:05 PM
They get used to your light schedule and prepare early for the lights to go off. At least that's what I've always thought was happening. I notice a variety of my corals both soft and LPS do this. I wouldn't worry as long as they look healthy throughout the day.

jlmawp
10/04/2017, 01:47 PM
They get used to your light schedule and prepare early for the lights to go off. At least that's what I've always thought was happening. I notice a variety of my corals both soft and LPS do this. I wouldn't worry as long as they look healthy throughout the day.

That thought crossed my mind, but in the 20 months I've had my tank, I never noticed it before the last few weeks. Maybe I just don't pay close enough attention? My wife will tell you that that's not possible, but who knows.

outssider
10/04/2017, 05:19 PM
that's an awfully wimpy light source ....what size is the tank ?

jlmawp
10/04/2017, 05:40 PM
that's an awfully wimpy light source ....what size is the tank ?

It's a 9-gallon cube. It's been my intention to upgrade to something stronger and fancier, but the thing has worked and been chugging along, so I've left it alone. I would imagine I would see better growth with a stronger light.

The thing is surprisingly bright though.