PDA

View Full Version : Algae help

ReefMaster48
10/04/2017, 02:19 PM
Anyone know what this algae is? Right now it in my sump, but want to know what it is and if thereís anything that will eat it. Iím pretty sure itís cyano or Redhair algae, but not positive. Know diotaflages (right spelling?) have bubbles like this, but I think the bubbles are from my return. It adds a bunch of bubbles in this one area.

Hope the pics work

xCry0x
10/04/2017, 04:18 PM
Does it blow off with a turkey baster? (It looks like cyano)

Red turf looks much more like hair algae that is red --

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Algae%20and%20Plt%20Pix/BlueGreenAlgae/HPIM0523.jpg

ReefMaster48
10/04/2017, 05:14 PM
It does blow off the rocks fairly easily.

I should assume that it is cyano then?

Since it is in the sump, should I keep it there? Would allowing it to grow in there keep it from growing in the main?

I really don't want it to contaminate the main.

Anything that eats it?

ReefMaster48
10/04/2017, 05:19 PM
Would leaving the sump light off for a while allow it to basically die out completely? I have a fairly large amphipod population that I think is eating it. I always see them on it when the lights get turned on during night hours.

mcgyvr
10/04/2017, 05:37 PM
Thats cyano.. Its a bacteria not an algae..

Having it grow just in the sump is a great place for it..
Treatments/discussion have been covered a million times over..
Here is the cliff notes

1-siphon it during water changes
2-increase water changes
3-3 day lights out can help (with before and after siphoning)
4-red slime remover/chemiclean work too for a chemical attack.. follow directions exactly..
5-Its usually there to indicate water quality isn't what it could be.. (but is also very common in a new tank and will usually pass)

ReefMaster48
10/04/2017, 05:45 PM
I recently upgraded my tank, and scrubbed the rocks to get all algae off (the cyano was there before but not as noticeable). All of the rock went into the sump. I guess that the remaining cyano is stuff that I didn't remove properly. I think Ill give it a little while, but might try the Chemiclean, seems like that will completely remove it and quick. As with my new setup, params are good, and I want to make sure its deleted from my system.