PDA

View Full Version : Florida skimmer issues?

reefinder
10/05/2017, 03:55 AM
Looking at making a change, anyone recommend a good skimmer that has a delay or does not over flow if power goes out and water level changes in sump? i was wondering if maybe the new controllable models give the skimmer a delay before restarting to let the sump catch up. I need one if that does exist, my power here in Florida due to summer storms goes out now all the time. Oh it's for a 40gal tank and the sump is a standard 10 gallon.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good skimmer that meets these needs please post, thank you all in andvance.

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 05:30 AM
Just add a "delay on make" timer
https://www.amazon.com/Packard-PTD102-Delay-Timer-Relay/dp/B004UVP90Q

bif24701
10/05/2017, 10:36 AM
The new Reef Octopus skimmers with the Varios pumps include a float switch that goes to the pump controller. The switch can be rigged to the cup or a container for your skimmate collection.

Aquarium controllers can also do this function. If you also need a heater controller it might be worth the investment for these two functions alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Atkins
10/05/2017, 10:55 PM
My skimmer doesn't have a native turn on delay but the Profilux 3 controller that I use delays the skimmer turning back on by about 5 minutes after a power outage.

I set this up after having exactly the same problem as you after a power outage. This ability was built in so I just needed to set it up for the powerbar outlet that had the skimmer on it.

Chances are other controllers would also have this feature

reefinder
10/06/2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys for all the replays. I am scared of a controller because of the learning curve I honestly am still up in the air of what I am going to do.

moondoggy4
10/06/2017, 09:44 PM
If you can find a old AC/Jr by Neptune they are great little controllers, really easy to use, you can put your skimmer on (Light-MH on for 231/2 hours shutting off for 30 minutes a day) and when the electricity goes out the skimmer will shut off for 15 minutes. Allowing the MH ballast to cool before re-powering, So if your skimmer is hooked up it just shuts off your skimmer for 15 minutes. These can be found for 75 to 120 bucks on the used market.

Then the other 7 plugs you can hook up your lights heaters fan etc. The Digitail Aquatics has one that does 4 plugs for 119 new.

reefteaser
10/07/2017, 07:34 AM
I purchased a delay outlet from BRS. A little spendy, but solves the issue very simply.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmer-delay-timer-reef-octopus.html