PDA

View Full Version : ATO system advice

ReefMaster48
10/05/2017, 08:12 AM
What is everyone using for their ATO reservoir? I have a new tank set up, total system is 60 gals, open top; and it eats about 2.5 gallons every 3 days. I think I can get about a week on a 5 gallon bucket. BUT. Id like to go longer, with maybe a 10 gallon or something. Anyone know of a slim and cheap bucket/trashcan or anything for ATO res.? I only have about 11.5 inches to work with in width, but every other dimension is open.

Yet here's another issue. If the container gets to tall, how do I stop a siphon into my sump? Both ATO and sump are on the same level, so will it start a siphon? Will a hole in the ATO line (in ATO bucket) allow air to get in and stop the siphon? I have heard this before, but never actually tried it or had anyone with first hand experience.

Thanks in advance!

journeyman
10/05/2017, 08:34 AM
I use the tunze osmolater. Had it for a couple of years and I like it. It had a shot of feature for when the water gets too high.

The hole in the tube works as a good siphon break, which I've done before, but I just put the return time above the water line and that works fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hitch08
10/05/2017, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the "cheap" part of your request - which is frankly something that had me banging my head against the wall when I was looking for something similar.

Here is a 10 gallon open top tank, which is 8" wide (it's just not cheap :headwalls:)

http://www.watertanks.com/products/RO-18X8X16PE

Cliving1
10/05/2017, 10:27 AM
I drilled 2 holes in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. I run the electrical and clear tube out of the top. I placed the bucket in one of those beach looking containers from home goods. Sits next to the tank, and its easy to look at.

ktownhero
10/05/2017, 10:28 AM
I use one of the Vittles Vault dog food containers from Petco. Dr. Foster and Smith sells them cheaper and Petco matches the price no problem. They are awesome.

garbermatt
10/05/2017, 12:37 PM
Yet here's another issue. If the container gets to tall, how do I stop a siphon into my sump? Both ATO and sump are on the same level, so will it start a siphon? Will a hole in the ATO line (in ATO bucket) allow air to get in and stop the siphon? I have heard this before, but never actually tried it or had anyone with first hand experience.

Thanks in advance!

Instead of putting a hole in the ATO line I attached some pvc to the wall vertically emptying into the sump with the ATO line emptying into the PVC above the water level of my reservoir. Hereís the reservoir I use:

Eagle 1610MB Blue High Density Polyethylene Lab Pack Drum with Metal Lever-lock Lid, 14 gallon Capacity, 26.5" Height, 15" Diameter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026GO5CA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OON1zbZTCDNQ8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe0813
10/05/2017, 10:57 PM
I have a 10 gallon trigger reservoir

Kevin Guthrie
10/05/2017, 11:44 PM
Rubbermaid Commercial Deskside Trash Can, 10 Gallon. 11 inches wide though they bulge a bit when filled with water. Cover it with something or someone will forget its not a trash can.

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:02 AM
5 gallon bucket from Home Depot.

vinman
10/06/2017, 11:46 AM
Wonder how you are going through 2.5 gal every 3 days? Do you have a cooling fan on the top or sump evaporating a lot? I have a similar setup. 60 gal with a sump and 5 gal RO reservoir and not evaporating that much. Are you skimming very wet?
I believe the ATO return needs to be higher than your reservoir and not in the water of the sump otherwise you get that siphon issue which can cause the ATO to cycle back and forth.

ReefMaster48
10/06/2017, 12:21 PM
Wonder how you are going through 2.5 gal every 3 days? Do you have a cooling fan on the top or sump evaporating a lot? I have a similar setup. 60 gal with a sump and 5 gal RO reservoir and not evaporating that much. Are you skimming very wet?
I believe the ATO return needs to be higher than your reservoir and not in the water of the sump otherwise you get that siphon issue which can cause the ATO to cycle back and forth.

Well, its a 40 breeder and I have it open topped. Sump has a lid, but not covering the whole thing. Also, a small fan in the sump to keep the air moving a bit. Not sure if I need that tho, might test with and without it. Really like the open top, but might have to close it. :sad2:

I think for a larger reservoir, Im gonna look around for a large trashcan like a lot of people are saying. It seems to be the only cheaper container that would be vertical. Thanks to all for the responses!!!!

Lsufan
10/06/2017, 06:01 PM
I use a 10 gallon aquarium for my ato on my 40 breeder. It lasts right around 7 days. It should fit your space. I believe it is around 10.5" wide. If your sump is more then 12" tall u won't have to worry about any syphoning because a 10 gallon tank is 12" tall, so u could keep the output of the ato line higher then the top of the resorvoir

Frogmanx82
10/07/2017, 10:07 AM
Go with a peristaltic pump. No siphon worries and works better with kalk if you decide to go that way with the ATO.

eder10986
10/08/2017, 11:15 AM
I drilled 2 holes in the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. I run the electrical and clear tube out of the top. I placed the bucket in one of those beach looking containers from home goods. Sits next to the tank, and its easy to look at.

100% exactly what we did. Canít even tell what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frogmanx82
10/10/2017, 08:40 PM
So I got this 8 gallon plastic container from the hardware store for $6. Has a lid. I marked the gallons on the side using water from a bucket. I use kalk at 1 tbs per gallon and vinegar at 45 ml per gallon. I put bubble wrap floating on top to keep CO2 exchange to a minimum. I dose with a peristaltic pump to prevent back flow and its a nice and slow drip addition.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4452/37578599926_fc0ec46252_n.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4450/37368508250_20d8e6453b_n.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4475/37578600376_c5b151fa85_n.jpg

Dmorty217
10/11/2017, 05:21 AM
55g brute trash can

ReefMaster48
10/11/2017, 09:39 AM
55g brute trash can

Haha! I think that would last me a long time! lol But now that the tank is settled out and I haven't been playing with it to much. Im getting about 3-4 gallons a week. :thumbsup: 5 gallon should work fine for awhile, but im gonna keep my eyes open for a 10 ish gallon. just to give me some more time.

I really like everyones idea for having a basket or something to hide the free Lowes advertisement. Gotta see what I can fin to fit in that space!