PDA

View Full Version : GFO tumble too fast?

Hazmatreefer7
10/05/2017, 08:16 AM
Here is a link to a quick video I just made to show you all how my GFO is moving within the reactor. The flow valve on the pump is tough to fine tune and if I go any lower it does not tumble at all. What you you folks think?

https://youtu.be/-dbS-_B-bkU

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 08:19 AM
Too much IMO..

but why are you even running GFO?
You have a bad phosphate problem?

Hazmatreefer7
10/05/2017, 08:33 AM
I wouldnt say its bad, I do have an issue with diatoms and brown algae on my sand. My API tests were showing "0" but that really means it's below .25ppm. I got a Hanna checker and sure enough my Phosphate is .12ppm. I may be splitting hairs but I am shooting for under .05ppm. I'll try to slow it up some more. I may have to go get a better valve from HD and see how that works out.

Hitch08
10/05/2017, 08:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQfrJeVZXQ

Take a look at that video, starting at about 4:17.

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 09:05 AM
I got a Hanna checker and sure enough my Phosphate is .12ppm.

I'll bet overfeeding is the real issue..

diatoms feed off silicates..

Are you using RO/DI water all the time? Have you tested it for both phosphates and silicates? It also could be the issue..

Personally I would rather fix the real problem vs cover it up with GFO..
IMO GFO is always just a cover up..

Hazmatreefer7
10/05/2017, 11:46 AM
I feed a quarter cube of frozen mysis every other day. I have three fish and one is a starry blenny that eats both mysis and algae pellets. Overfeeding was my first guess too but it's been about 6mo on this feeding schedule. I believe my source water isn't pristine. I don't have a RODI unit yet so I've been getting RO from a "glacier water" vending machine. I have been using this source of water for years with no ill effects. However, I did move to a more rural area in my county last year and the water out here is different than when I lived in the city limits. That is when I started having issues. I know I need an RODI unit but just can't nab one just yet. I plan to test my RO source when more reagent arrives for the hanna. Thanks for your reply.

Hazmatreefer7
10/05/2017, 11:49 AM
Also, I rinse the Frozen food in tank water before it goes into the tank.

outssider
10/05/2017, 04:23 PM
Too much IMO..

but why are you even running GFO?
You have a bad phosphate problem?

+1...

too much

bif24701
10/05/2017, 05:16 PM
Here is a link to a quick video I just made to show you all how my GFO is moving within the reactor. The flow valve on the pump is tough to fine tune and if I go any lower it does not tumble at all. What you you folks think?

https://youtu.be/-dbS-_B-bkU

Dude, it's tumbling at 1/3 the speed of light. You should turn it down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Guthrie
10/05/2017, 06:15 PM
+1 too much. Its also tumbling only around the center tube - seems stagnant at the edges. Is there a diffuser plate of some kind at the bottom?

Hazmatreefer7
10/06/2017, 05:34 AM
I have turned it down a bit, it's just hard to fine tune with the valve that came with the reactor. I am going to get different valve after work today and see if that helps. I did not have the diffuser plate in there but that only helped so much after I put it back in. It is doing better now but it's still not flowing evenly on all sides. I may have to mod the diffuser to get a good flow through the media. Again, I appreciate all the help!