PDA

View Full Version : Return pipe size

jeffbooher
10/05/2017, 09:29 AM
Hello,

I have a 90 gallon that I got used, already has a setup for BeanAnimal filtration. They have 1 1/2 in drain pipes(I believe), but I am curious if I should use 3/4 return pipe or 1/2? I am currently using a MAG 7 return pump(on a 50 gallon breeder I am taking down). Also, planning on drilling the tank for the return and putting in the bulkhead so there is no "over the top" return. My 50 breeder has the over the top style and it seems to be louder then my uncles who has a drilled return.

bif24701
10/05/2017, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I have a 90 gallon that I got used, already has a setup for BeanAnimal filtration. They have 1 1/2 in drain pipes(I believe), but I am curious if I should use 3/4 return pipe or 1/2? I am currently using a MAG 7 return pump(on a 50 gallon breeder I am taking down). Also, planning on drilling the tank for the return and putting in the bulkhead so there is no "over the top" return. My 50 breeder has the over the top style and it seems to be louder then my uncles who has a drilled return.

1/2" will restrict the flow considerably due to friction. If you want the best possible flow going bigger on the return is better. You cloud use 1" from the pump all the way to the bulkhead if it is smaller than 1".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LobsterOfJustice
10/05/2017, 09:50 AM
Agreed, at least 3/4, 1 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksonpt
10/05/2017, 09:50 AM
Returns shouldn't make noise. The pump probably will, but you shouldn't hear flowing/splashing, especially on relatively low flow rates.

ktownhero
10/05/2017, 10:10 AM
3/4" works great, 1" and higher just feels bulky for no good reason. A 1.5" drain pipe is insane lol.

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 10:27 AM
In general you want to match or exceed the largest size that the pump itself is rated for..
So if its got a 3/4" barb on it you want 3/4" or more..
If its got a 2.5" outlet on it then 2.5" or more..

A 1.5" drain pipe for a system with a Mag 7 may be overkill but not for another system with a larger pump..
Its all relative to the pump here..