PDA

View Full Version : EcoTech [profanity]

reefinder
10/05/2017, 01:23 PM
So I have three EcoTech vortech pumps. my MP10 pump started making some crazy noise all of a sudden. I disassemble the pump and find out the white tubing around the metal shaft has chipped. I called EcoTech up and spoke to the parts department and they tell me I can not buy that part. I have to only buy the entire wet-side for the pump. The tubing part probably cost them less than $.02 to buy. I even told the guy I would give him $15 for the piece I just don't want to spend $60+ dollars before shipping and tax for the entire wet-side. Chris in the parts department told me there is nothing he can do. I asked to speak with a manager and of course he tells me there is know one available to speak to.
I am ****ed, for an AMERICAN company who prides itself on customer service I feel very swindled. I have spent $1k in pumps and I need a $.02 piece and you try to rip me off. Am I in the wrong here for being upset, has anyone else run into issues with them?

Potatohead
10/05/2017, 01:31 PM
How old is the pump?

bif24701
10/05/2017, 01:37 PM
The while around the metal shaft is a ceramic and permanently attached. However I feel like they could sell the wet side in several pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefinder
10/05/2017, 01:55 PM
"The while around the metal shaft is a ceramic and permanently attached. However I feel like they could sell the wet side in several pieces"
No, it comes right off the shaft its a protective barrier piece I believe, it comes off all my pumps its not glued or screwed on.

"How old is the pump?"
pump is 18 months old I believe.

Ted_C
10/05/2017, 02:16 PM
I had the same problem with an MP 60 - it's a ceramic bushing at the base of the spindle.

New wetside was the solution for me as well.

The thing is - it's usually some sort of drop or fall that causes the bushing to chip. Of the new parts or ones I haven't ever dropped, this has not been an issue for me.

ktownhero
10/05/2017, 02:17 PM
There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it. You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper.

reefinder
10/05/2017, 02:31 PM
]"There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it.You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper." [/I]

I'm okay with buying the bumper for sure, but Mercedes did not tell me if the bumper breaks I need to buy a new windshield and tires and door panels. that essentially their solution. If one small part breaks you have to buy 1/3 of the product no matter what piece breaks. cant change your oil you just need to buy the whole engine instead.

Potatohead
10/05/2017, 02:37 PM
]"There's nothing about anything you wrote that is wrong except for your own expectations. They offered you the solution, it isn't their problem if you don't want to pay for it.You don't buy a Mercedes if you can't afford the bumper." [/I]

I'm okay with buying the bumper for sure, but Mercedes did not tell me if the bumper breaks I need to buy a new windshield and tires and door panels. that essentially their solution. If one small part breaks you have to buy 1/3 of the product no matter what piece breaks. cant change your oil you just need to buy the whole engine instead.

Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster.

reefinder
10/05/2017, 02:41 PM
"I had the same problem with an MP 60 - it's a ceramic bushing at the base of the spindle.
New wetside was the solution for me as well.
The thing is - it's usually some sort of drop or fall that causes the bushing to chip. Of the new parts or ones I haven't ever dropped, this has not been an issue for me".

I have not dropped the pump yet, but I am glad I am not the only one who has broken the tubing and had the same response from EcoTech.

reefinder
10/05/2017, 02:44 PM
"Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster".

Or I could call a second hand parts shop and get the part for Mercedes. Unfortunately for Ecotech that option is not possible. And honestly I am not buying anything from Mercedes as well just EcoTech.

Potatohead
10/05/2017, 03:03 PM
"Well, it happens all the time. Phone Mercedes and try to buy just a piece of the alternator or fuel pump, or just the speedo needle. You will be told you need to buy the whole alternator/pump/cluster".

Or I could call a second hand parts shop and get the part for Mercedes. Unfortunately for Ecotech that option is not possible. And honestly I am not buying anything from Mercedes as well just EcoTech.

You're not going to get just an alternator regulator from Advance.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, it would be nice to be able to get every part, but typically not the way it works.

ca1ore
10/05/2017, 03:08 PM
Can you post a picture of the part you are referring to. My MP10 wetsides have no white protective piece or bushing that comes off. The central spindle is white, but it's not removable (or not easily removable). Maybe its older than you think .......

reefinder
10/05/2017, 03:54 PM
Yeah definitely when I get home tonight I will post a pic

HippieSmell
10/05/2017, 04:02 PM
I also wish they'd sell replacement parts for the wet side. I had to buy a $160 mp60 replacement because a snail got into the propeller and bent some of the plastic. It just seems wasteful.

ca1ore
10/05/2017, 04:09 PM
They used to sell a maintenance kit for the older 40 wetside. My guess is that the new ones aren't as easily disassembled and it's not deemed to be cost justified.

taphil
10/05/2017, 04:11 PM
Mine broke yesterday too. I seem to need a new one every two years with the MP10, the white ceramic part breaks often. This will be the third replacement.

I also have MP40 QD that’s been problem free

reefinder
10/05/2017, 05:02 PM
Yeah its a total waste for one piece I agree with you

reefinder
10/05/2017, 05:04 PM
Now pumps are cheaper and controllable from multiple other companies, you think they would step up their game to compete better for business.

rtparty
10/05/2017, 05:11 PM
Now pumps are cheaper and controllable from multiple other companies, you think they would step up their game to compete better for business.

No one competes with them technically. Their patent made sure of that.

Unless by compare you mean a controllable pump. Vortech's are more than that IMO. My two sit on the back of my tank and totally blend in. No cords, no distractions.

homer1475
10/05/2017, 05:23 PM
My mp10's are an all white shaft(ceramic coating on a metal shaft) nothing comes off(I have 3 of them). I have had a shaft chip the ceramic coating and had it replaced. The part you are referring to is just a coating on the metal shaft and one solid piece with the bottom plastic.

Hence why you have to buy the entire wet side. I would agree with you though that they should at the very least just sell the bare bottom and shaft for much less then the entire wet side.

mcgyvr
10/05/2017, 05:50 PM
This piece?
http://melevsreef.com/pics/10/03/vortech_insert.jpg

outssider
10/05/2017, 05:53 PM
they used to sell the back part that had the shaft attached. I bought one several years ago...it was less than $20

ca1ore
10/05/2017, 07:19 PM
This piece?
http://melevsreef.com/pics/10/03/vortech_insert.jpg

That's the 40, right? The 10 is a more integrated unit and has not had a bushing like that in a very long time (maybe never).

ca1ore
10/05/2017, 07:24 PM
Mine broke yesterday too. I seem to need a new one every two years with the MP10, the white ceramic part breaks often. This will be the third replacement.

I also have MP40 QD thatís been problem free

ETM actually recommend a new wetside every 18 months. Seems a bit ridiculous to me frankly, but that's what they say. I've yet to have a wetside fail (including two of the older pre-QD wetside designs). Not sure what you people are doing with them?

I've used most of the powerheads available, and vortech are hands down my favorites.

ksed
10/05/2017, 07:43 PM
ETM actually recommend a new wetside every 18 months. Seems a bit ridiculous to me frankly, but that's what they say. I've yet to have a wetside fail (including two of the older pre-QD wetside designs). Not sure what you people are doing with them?

I've used most of the powerheads available, and vortech are hands down my favorites.

Where did you see that they recommended a new wet side every 18 months?

HippieSmell
10/05/2017, 08:21 PM

Seems funny to recommend replacement after 18 months when they have a 1 year warranty.

I just sent one of my wetsides in for warranty repair last week, actually.

ktownhero
10/05/2017, 09:01 PM

I'm okay with buying the bumper for sure, but Mercedes did not tell me if the bumper breaks I need to buy a new windshield and tires and door panels. that essentially their solution. If one small part breaks you have to buy 1/3 of the product no matter what piece breaks. cant change your oil you just need to buy the whole engine instead.You make the mistake of assuming Ecotech had individual parts available at all, even for themselves. They likely don't. These things are manufactured and assembled.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

lilphil26
10/06/2017, 12:29 AM
Now I'm glad I didn't drop 450 Canadian funds on a quiet drive mp10. Bought a jebao 2 years ago and it's been flawless. Clean it every month and away it goes again. I'm not trying to hijack, it just seems really crappy that these expensive pumps don't significantly outlast their Chinese cheap counterparts.

Potatohead
10/06/2017, 02:01 AM
Now I'm glad I didn't drop 450 Canadian funds on a quiet drive mp10. Bought a jebao 2 years ago and it's been flawless. Clean it every month and away it goes again. I'm not trying to hijack, it just seems really crappy that these expensive pumps don't significantly outlast their Chinese cheap counterparts.

On average they do, by a lot.

soulpatch
10/06/2017, 08:20 AM
On average they do, by a lot.

I'd say on average they DID. While I prefer the name brands for the added integration and features I would argue that the knock offs have significantly closed the quality/durability gap while leaving the price gap intact.

ca1ore
10/06/2017, 08:48 AM
Everybody has different reasons and priorities for why they buy things (that's why Hyundai and BMW co-exist; both get you to the grocery store reliably). For me, there is an elegance and functionality to the Vortech (integrated to my Apex via WXM) that every other pump I've ever used leaves me vaguely dissatisfied. Even the Apex WAV pumps gave me that feeling.

Further, my own experience with Vortech is that they are more reliable and longer lived than the cheap Chinese brands - though if longevity is your goal, Tunze is the King.

jacksonpt
10/06/2017, 09:03 AM
Ultimately, there's no right answer to this conversation. They are big ticket items for sure, but whether or not they are worth it is up to the individual. I've got a pair of pre-QD MP10s, and while I'm frequently frustrated with how fussy they are, the form and function is unbeatable. For me. And since it's my tank and my money, I get to choose what's "worth it" and what isn't.

As for OPs OP, I understand the frustration and have been in a similar situation... different problem, same result - had to buy a new assembly. But the assumption/expectation that you can (or should be able to) buy every tiny piece as a replacement part is a reach. And frankly, for as fussy as these things can be, from Ecotech's standpoint, I'd hate to think about end users tearing things apart and making small repairs. Most end users in that scenario would likely make things worse.

ca1ore
10/06/2017, 09:24 AM
Where did you see that they recommended a new wet side every 18 months?

Not sure I'm going to recall where I read that, so you'll have to take it with a grain of salt. If I find it, will post it.

HippieSmell
10/06/2017, 10:05 AM
And frankly, for as fussy as these things can be, from Ecotech's standpoint, I'd hate to think about end users tearing things apart and making small repairs. Most end users in that scenario would likely make things worse.
You can't make things worse than needing an entirely new wet side.

soulpatch
10/06/2017, 10:18 AM
you can't make things worse than needing an entirely new wet side.
+1

Potatohead
10/06/2017, 10:24 AM
You can't make things worse than needing an entirely new wet side.

Of course you can, you can replace the whole pump? Which is what is needed with the cheap stuff very often anyway.

Maybe I think differently but replacing a wet side every ~36 months is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the costs of the hobby, especially when you consider the other positive benefits the Vortechs offer over their competition.

soulpatch
10/06/2017, 10:25 AM
Of course you can, you can replace the whole pump? Which is what is needed with the cheap stuff very often anyway.

Maybe I think differently but replacing a wet side every ~36 months is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the costs of the hobby.

Hard to say it is worse when replacing a wet side or pump both mean that the pump is down and the cost for a cheap pump is pretty even with that of a wet side.

smatter
10/06/2017, 10:54 AM
Everybody has different reasons and priorities for why they buy things (that's why Hyundai and BMW co-exist; both get you to the grocery store reliably). For me, there is an elegance and functionality to the Vortech (integrated to my Apex via WXM) that every other pump I've ever used leaves me vaguely dissatisfied. Even the Apex WAV pumps gave me that feeling.

Further, my own experience with Vortech is that they are more reliable and longer lived than the cheap Chinese brands - though if longevity is your goal, Tunze is the King.

I like that every single replacement part is available for Tunze equipment.

Jyetman
10/06/2017, 11:09 AM
That's why I buy jabeo if the pump dies after 5 years I just spend another $60 to replace it.

reefinder
10/06/2017, 11:48 AM
Sorry having issues uploading pictures from my iPhone on reefcentral.

reefinder
10/06/2017, 11:51 AM
I went ahead and purchased a diffrent pump, i will slowly phase the vortechs out going forwar.

xCry0x
10/06/2017, 01:43 PM
Eh, this is why when my Mp-10 finally broke (I got a good 3-4 years out of it) I opted to go with the chinese option and got the jabeo cp-40 gyre knock off.

I honestly like the flow of the gyre more than the ecotech pumps anyway -- and it cost me all of $70. I could buy 5 of them for the cost of one mp40 =)

I have come around on the value of these fancy pumps honestly. You just need water moving -- the gyre design does that very well.

HippieSmell
10/06/2017, 04:24 PM

Maybe I think differently but replacing a wet side every ~36 months is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the costs of the hobby, especially when you consider the other positive benefits the Vortechs offer over their competition.
You're not replacing the entire pump if you only mess up the wet side.

Sure, a replacement every 36 months isn't a big deal. Every six months because a snail jacks up the propeller? At $160 a pop? For a plastic propeller? That's different.

FirstContact
10/06/2017, 10:40 PM
You could always get a powerhead more reliable or get a powerhead less expensive than an Ecotech. That would solve the problem.

tkeracer619
10/06/2017, 11:26 PM
I find it interesting that people write off a company because they don't create components that are user serviceable or give you what you want simply because you want to get angry and argue with a manager. If they offered the part they would have it on the website.

You literally spent good money on a pump that obviously you liked but because you need to buy a replacement part that is a wear item you just abandon ship. I just don't understand that logic. The wet side is cheap and once in a while they break. Not all the time mind you, I still have original mp pumps that haven't had repair parts available since almost day one. They work just fine. When they do finally die, I'll replace them.

Currently I'm working on replacing my old legacy mp pumps with all QD stuff. That's 6 mp40s and a mp60. Going with 4 mp60qd and 2 mp40qd.

The reality of the wet sides are that if they are going to break they usually do so within the warranty period and from what I gather the quality control is much better. To maintain that quality control it took a design change. My initial wet sides had all sorts of issues that customer service quickly took care of. It was likely a nightmare to keep up with it all. By going to a non user serviceable wet side they likely greatly reduced failure rates.

What are you doing with your mp10 dry side? Is it a QD?

reefinder
10/07/2017, 06:38 AM
"I find it interesting that people write off a company because they don't create components that are user serviceable or give you what you want simply because you want to get angry and argue with a manager. If they offered the part they would have it on the website"

tkeracer619 you have collectively spent over 2-3k in water motion pumps in your tank. A device that just moves the water. It is one of many many purchase in your tank, but you opted for a pump that you believe to be the best. Companies who charge the most and are known to be the best are held a higher standards.
let me give you an example I have multiple hobbies fishing is one of them, if I break one of my sage rod's that was a couple hundred dollars in my life time they replace it no questions asked. even if its just the rod tip that breaks they replace the rod with the never model style, same goes for the multiple hundred dollar reels. The expectation is that if you buy the more best and most expensive brands, they are held to higher levels of service, we all deal with it on all day to day stuff. With that being said you don't price gouge your customers when they have issues, you solve the issues to suit your customers needs.
No offense but sticking up for companies who have developed bad business practices enables companies like EcoTech to price gauge and provide sub par customer service to its customers, who pay way to much for a silly pump that just moves water in a fish tank. Keep these companies in check by posting your problems and it will help keep companies honest and striving to win more customers.
Do I believe EcoTech should have reached out to me because of this thread? Yes, If it was my company you can bet your over priced coral I would have by now.

mcgyvr
10/07/2017, 09:06 AM
You won't convince the ecotech fan boys or change their minds or get them to switch now or whatever so don't waste your time..

Yes it sure would be better if they offered each part to consumers vs having to buy a whole wetside or whatever.. Anyone that disagrees with that is just silly and disagreeing just to disagree..
But Ecotech doesn't.. so life goes on..

ca1ore
10/07/2017, 09:50 AM
I'm an unabashed fan of vortech pumps (fan boy is such a pejorative term and intellectually lazy), I guess that's why I have 8 of them :lol:. Being brutally honest, I tend to think that many folks that have problems do so because of user stupidity. I have had no issues with any of mine (other than the aforementioned stupidity - flooding the controller is not a good thing to do). Not saying there cannot be problems (magnet problems with early generation MP40 QD wetsides as notable example), but I have seen countless foolish implementations with mine own eyes. As a said earlier, to each his/her own. The form factor appeals to me as I despise clunky equipment in my tank.

d2mini
10/07/2017, 09:58 AM
You actually used to be able to buy certain components of the wet side on their website.
Looks like that has changed this year.

That said, $60 for a brand new wet side that will last another couple years easily if taken care of doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me. But that’s just me.

reefinder
10/07/2017, 10:06 AM
Your right on the fan boy, he pulled out the thesaurus to prove a point lol.

D2mini I understand and $60 really is not the problem it's just a waste. I only need the a small part I don't want to waste all the plastic for one part. whatever I don't want to complain anymore, I apologize if I came off that way. I hope this thread shines some light on this company and multiple other companies who have the same ridiculous practices.

mcgyvr
10/07/2017, 10:19 AM
Buy the $60 wetside..
Take what you need..
Sell off the remaining parts to others who need those specific pieces at a slight markup..
Problem solved.. :thumbsup:
You could start your own little business from it..
There is a need for the individual parts and that need isn't being filled

reefinder
10/07/2017, 12:37 PM
Not a bad idea..

nikon187
10/07/2017, 02:14 PM
isnt the entire point the fact it doesnt come apart hence why the entire piece is needed? cant sell something that doesnt come apart to sell. Plain and simple, they changed the wet sides when switched to quiet drive. buy the wetside or another pump, stuff is worth what YOU the consumer feels is right. I havent had another powerhead in the last 8 yrs. replaced two power supplies and thats it.

HippieSmell
10/07/2017, 04:38 PM

D2mini I understand and $60 really is not the problem it's just a waste. I only need the a small part I don't want to waste all the plastic for one part. whatever I don't want to complain anymore, I apologize if I came off that way. I hope this thread shines some light on this company and multiple other companies who have the same ridiculous practices.
Don't apologize. Ecotech isn't a sacred cow. A better product can always be designed.

tkeracer619
10/07/2017, 06:01 PM
Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare a simple fishing rod to a vortech. There is no other mag coupled pump that runs through the glass keeping power cords out of the water. All of the other pumps on the market use traditional tech to drive an axial type magnet on a shaft. They only really needs to take rotational loads which are minor.

A vortech wet side does a bunch. It has to do the standard axial, thrust, and support the dry side. It does this through magnets that rely on the user to get aligned. If slightly out of line not only does it have to take axial and thrust loads it now needs to take an additional side load.

It seems simple but is actually a complex engineering problem. It's one thing to make a prototype but to sell thousands and thousands with a high rate of success to keep customers happy is a real feat.

I've paid a premium and in the early days had my fair share of issues but they were always minor. Ecotech always stepped up to the plate. I was an early adopter having my first vortech before most people had heard of them, I still have the first one I ever bought and it works just fine... Overall I've had great success which is why I continue to buy thier products. I've seen huge improvements in the equipment since day one. They have always improved them.

So I understand where you are coming from but I think you shoujld reconsider walking away. Vortechs trully provide incredible flow for your reef and I think by stepoing away you are likely doing a disservice to yourself and your reef. $60 to bring one of the best pumps ever made for a reef tank back online is cheep.

ktownhero
10/07/2017, 08:06 PM
A wet side does not support the dry side. You're supposed to pin the cable down 1-2" above the dry side so it stays in place no matter what, and alleviates any downward pressure on the coupling of the two pieces.

LQT
10/07/2017, 09:27 PM
Pricewise, my Sage XPs cost me $795 per rod, so I think at least the “premium” comparison is more than fair. Those blanks and rods are actually built in the USA to boot! :D

ca1ore
10/07/2017, 10:20 PM

No thesaurus necessary, though I guess my post came of a a bit caustic. I'll stick with different approaches for different people and call it a day.

rc1626
10/07/2017, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=tkeracer619;25236557]There is no other mag coupled pump that runs through the glass keeping power cords out of the water. All of the other pumps on the market use traditional tech to drive an axial type magnet on a shaft.

Could that be because they own a patent on the technology?
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that.

tkeracer619
10/07/2017, 11:49 PM
Of course because they have the patent. They came up with the design and built a company around it. Generally it's wise to protect your intellectual property.

High end or not there are no moving parts in a fishing rod. Do they sell individual components of the rod if you break it or do they replace the rod?

LQT
10/07/2017, 11:56 PM
They don’t need to sell individual components of the rod, because they replace the whole thing... for life. However, if you damage a guide or a tip and for some odd reason don’t want the whole rod replaced, then yes, individual components are available.

nikon187
10/08/2017, 05:57 PM
Nothing to replace as its a whopping three parts to the wet side. if it doesn't come off it cant be replaced seperatly. why is this still an issue. Vortechs are awesome pumps, also have never used the clip for the cord, the magnets hold the dry side fine if aligned properly.

tkeracer619
10/08/2017, 11:55 PM
You're supposed to use the cord to support it, at least use it for a safety in case you're like me and knock running dry sides into the sump... :(

jacksonpt
10/09/2017, 03:01 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going.

reefinder
10/09/2017, 07:53 PM
Yeah lots of people upset and debating

rvareef
10/09/2017, 08:05 PM
I buy them for the elegance

outy
10/20/2017, 04:07 PM
I disassemble the pump and find out the white tubing around the metal shaft has chipped.

Replace the ceramic with plastic and it may run years. Id have it fixed in an hour instead of complaining publically.

Buy a new one when you get your money out of this wet side.

FirstContact
10/20/2017, 07:42 PM
meh, get a Coral Box QP16

HippieSmell
10/22/2017, 11:42 PM
My experience with mp60's since I bought a pair 13 months ago have been mixed. I had to buy a new wet side because a snail got jammed in the propeller and dented it. Then, the replacement began chattering and was replaced under warranty. Today, another wet side began chattering, but it's now one month out of warranty. That's three wet sides with problems, two of which are manufacturing problems, all within 13 months, and all needing complete replacement, two of them out of pocket. That's not a reliable product and is exacerbated by no option to repair, just replace, which at this rate is costing me $300 a year.

leventis72
10/23/2017, 11:43 AM
His name is Chris Fernandes he sucks wont even talk to him when I call

ca1ore
10/23/2017, 12:05 PM
I still have the first one I ever bought and it works just fine... Overall I've had great success which is why I continue to buy thier products. I've seen huge improvements in the equipment since day one. They have always improved them.

My experience as well. My oldest MP40 (six years, maybe seven) just had a wetside replacement and my second oldest probably is due for a replacement at this point. I have dropped a wetside here and there (don't do that) and flooded a driver once (definitely don't do that), but otherwise my 8 pumps (at last count) have all been quite reliable. Have had plenty of issues with other pumps, and quite happy to excoriate them (and no longer use them) ...

HippieSmell
11/01/2017, 11:07 AM
Ecotech replaced a wetside that was two months out of warranty free of charge, so that was nice. So, at least customer service has been good.

Jamesmost
11/01/2017, 11:51 AM
I am going to be more careful with my mp40s now :)

HippieSmell
11/01/2017, 12:59 PM
You know what was wrong with the wetside? The ceramic was broken...

reefinder
11/01/2017, 01:54 PM
"His name is Chris Fernandes he sucks wont even talk to him when I call".

Whose name is Chris Fernanades, are you on the correct thread?

sonoma2nv
11/02/2017, 11:08 PM
You're supposed to use the cord to support it, at least use it for a safety in case you're like me and knock running dry sides into the sump... :(
Thats for the Dry side.The wet side is whats broken.

ktownhero
11/03/2017, 07:56 AM
Thats for the Dry side.The wet side is whats broken.

Right, but if you are not properly supporting the dry side as *clearly indicated by Ecotech*, then you are putting excess strain on the magnetic coupling which can cause irregularities in how the wet side spins, thus causing problems.

The magnetic force between the two pieces is meant to hold the wet side in place and facilitate its rotation, NOT to support the weight of the entire device. You are supposed to use the included zip tie posts and zip ties to pin the cord down ~2" above the dry side tightly. Not to mention this also prevents the dry side from smashing on the floor if the coupling is ever lost. For that reason alone, people are insane for ignoring Ecotech's instructions.

Rover88
11/03/2017, 08:27 AM
-- snip---
Do I believe EcoTech should have reached out to me because of this thread? Yes, If it was my company you can bet your over priced coral I would have by now.

You would have more luck if you posted it in the EcoTech sponsor forum, not the general equipment forum. :)

nikon187
11/03/2017, 07:52 PM
8 yrs and have never used the cord holder and zero issue with decoupling or falling off. if you are using the proper spacer i cant see it falling off. ( 4 vortechs )

HippieSmell
11/03/2017, 11:07 PM
8 yrs and have never used the cord holder and zero issue with decoupling or falling off. if you are using the proper spacer i cant see it falling off. ( 4 vortechs )

I had the wet side fall off because it was badly shaking from a defect. The dry side was OK because it was properly attached. It can happen.

ktownhero
11/05/2017, 01:11 PM
8 yrs and have never used the cord holder and zero issue with decoupling or falling off. if you are using the proper spacer i cant see it falling off. ( 4 vortechs )Yeah well there are smokers that live to 100 too [emoji3]. Anecdotes are anecdotes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk