PDA

View Full Version : Are people more interested in building a system rather than running it

Frogmanx82
10/05/2017, 04:07 PM
New is all exciting and I get the feeling that some people are disappointed when the build is done, the corals and fish are in, and now it should just be sit back and enjoy but the enjoyment was all in the building of it.

Just my thought. I enjoy the maintaining, have had tanks for 45 years, but it has been fun switching to a sump system after my tank leak and I really have enjoyed getting my tank set up with new gadgets and systems. They are two different things.

rtparty
10/05/2017, 04:15 PM
Building is one of my favorite parts no doubt! Maintaining is fun as well but the build usually means new and shiny. New and shiny is always fun

DasCamel
10/05/2017, 05:23 PM
Building is awesome! Very addictive too. Rather enjoying everything growing out right now though.

Tripod1404
10/05/2017, 05:32 PM
I would not say "disappointed", but I am never satisfied with what I have. I always try find something to "improve" or tinker with.

This was supposed to be a relaxing hobby but whenever I look at my tank, I see something that could be improved:). This is paradoxical since it sometimes stresses me.

Gorgok
10/05/2017, 05:53 PM
I'm definitely a builder. I build all sorts of things and once 'done' that thing is rarely that interesting anymore. With the tank i still think most of time as building it, since i keep trying to make it better or stable to make it grow.

I would rather build lego than 'play' with them. While there are the opposite too i'm sure, thats just not me.

ahuaia
10/05/2017, 08:43 PM
I love building things and my tank is no exception. But that's partly why I love the Hobby because it feels like you're never done. You can always expand or try something new you can bread fish frag coral. While the options may not be limitless there is a lot in this Hobby to explore. I feel like I will never be done building a new tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ejb
10/05/2017, 08:54 PM
Nope, the best part is tending to your underwater garden

WLachnit
10/05/2017, 11:38 PM
I would not say "disappointed", but I am never satisfied with what I have. I always try find something to "improve" or tinker with.

This was supposed to be a relaxing hobby but whenever I look at my tank, I see something that could be improved:). This is paradoxical since it sometimes stresses me.

Ditto for me!

jacksonpt
10/06/2017, 08:19 AM
I love the build phase, from the planning and designing to the actual build. But I also love when my tank is running well, everyone is happy, and it's just kind of running itself.

IMO, there isn't much "excitement" when things are going well, so most people don't post about that. They are much more apt to post about a new build or new equipment or changes because it generates attention and conversation... or about problems and issues because they are hoping to find a fix/solution.

Jekerry
10/06/2017, 08:28 AM
I think that is true for any project. Me and my husband get so excited with any project be it a new landscaping, home improvement and now putting up the aquarium. Once we are done, we look around and say, so what NEXT! But we also enjoy what we have already done.

RWEngineer
10/06/2017, 08:35 AM
Design and build is my favorite parts of most of my projects.

ca1ore
10/06/2017, 09:09 AM
I'd have to say that I probably enjoy the designing and building process more than just maintaining. Is true for me beyond reefing as well. I suppose that is in part why I am always changing around my system.

smatter
10/06/2017, 09:15 AM
People think they need all kinds of manifolds and reactors and controllers and whatnot. I'd rather spend my money on baller coral pieces. I think it's funny calling setting up an IM tank or a REEFER system a "build". Getting a new tank is always fun, but to me starting out a tank doesn't hold a candle to beholding a well-established thriving reef tank.

Heuristic
10/06/2017, 11:40 AM
My favorite part is when I don't have to mix water:rollface:

scooter31707
10/06/2017, 11:46 AM
IMO, when you have decided to jump into this new hobby you are excited to get everything and get is running/built so you can get the fish/corals. I think really get excited when we are looking at pictures of other hobbyist. So when we finally get it going, after a few years, when other things start getting in the way of maintenance and the daily checks, it starts going down hill.

kmbyrnes
10/06/2017, 12:02 PM
Builds are fun, nervewracking, heartbreaking, exciting and expensive. Love them.
Running can get mundane, but it is so rewarding to see your hard work come to fruition when a coral suddenly takes off and covers and entire rock, or your clown fish start spawning.
This hobby has rewards everywhere you turn.

Shia
10/06/2017, 12:06 PM
It seems the majority loves to build. Personally I prefer the maintenance and growth phase. I love starting out with small frags and watching them grow, which is why I cannot stand SPS. I feel an established reef is a pure work of art and takes a lot of knowledge and energy to reach that point.

Quick27
10/06/2017, 12:42 PM
I definitely fall into that category. I tend to become very obsessed during the build process and then once everything is up and running, I slowly lose interest and then break it down. Has happened every time I have started a new tank (5 times now). Yet, here I am once again, starting fresh with a new build. For whatever reason I can't stay away from the hobby even though I know the eventual outcome... I love to waste money I guess?

smatter
10/06/2017, 01:24 PM
I definitely fall into that category. I tend to become very obsessed during the build process and then once everything is up and running, I slowly lose interest and then break it down. Has happened every time I have started a new tank (5 times now). Yet, here I am once again, starting fresh with a new build. For whatever reason I can't stay away from the hobby even though I know the eventual outcome... I love to waste money I guess?

You'd be hired if I was still in the aquarium installation business!

jda
10/06/2017, 02:53 PM
I don't think that it is the build being over, it is that the next step requires patience and letting go so that nature can do it's thing. The meticulous nature that makes some people good at the build is ill-suited for doing nothing.

fcmatt
10/06/2017, 04:33 PM
I find the building part to be annoying actually. Trying to figure out what stuff to buy that will actually last more than a year before it breaks or never works properly, realizing I do not want to spend $5000 on a 60 gallon tank, having the knowledge to do it right which means spending $$$ but saving money in the end, etc...

I like the part where I get to choose my creatures and tend to them. Feeding time is fun. Watching the coral grow over time.

With that said when I was a rookie I loved building. Now eh... only a few pieces I enjoy researching. The rest is basics.

sean357
10/07/2017, 12:20 AM
I think most people just go through stages of engagement with their tanks. When you are in the build stage you have to be super engaged or nothing gets done. I try to get as much done when I'm super into the tank and try to make the tank as neglect proof as possible. I also make sure that even when I'm distracted with work, travel or personal life stuff I always keep a minimum schedule of maintenance at least as well. I also think success keeps people engaged, when you feel like you are seeing noticeable growth every time you look at the tank you want to keep looking.

ktownhero
10/07/2017, 06:11 AM
I find the building part to be annoying actually. Trying to figure out what stuff to buy that will actually last more than a year before it breaks or never works properly, realizing I do not want to spend $5000 on a 60 gallon tank, having the knowledge to do it right which means spending $$$ but saving money in the end, etc...

I like the part where I get to choose my creatures and tend to them. Feeding time is fun. Watching the coral grow over time.

With that said when I was a rookie I loved building. Now eh... only a few pieces I enjoy researching. The rest is basics.

This is what made the Red Sea Reefer tanks so interesting to my on my last build. Nice to just have the basics done and then you can just get the gear you want...

JTL
10/07/2017, 08:06 AM
I love the build phase. Thankfully I have a wife who loves the maintenance/growing phase.

d2mini
10/07/2017, 08:45 AM
I really like the build stage. That’s the fun part in the beginning when you’re just going to end up with a pretty bare tank for awhile.
The next best stage is like a year later when everything seems to kick into gear.

Joe0813
10/07/2017, 09:51 AM
i dont know how I feel about building it.... I was watching thousands and thousands and more thousands of dollars fly out of my wallet.. now its just basically upkeep. so its a lot cheaper

d2mini
10/07/2017, 11:09 AM
i dont know how I feel about building it.... I was watching thousands and thousands and more thousands of dollars fly out of my wallet.. now its just basically upkeep. so its a lot cheaper

https://media.giphy.com/media/7mUMoIPGzyFvW/giphy.gif

mikenh77
10/07/2017, 02:36 PM

This was supposed to be a relaxing hobby but whenever I look at my tank, I see something that could be improved:). This is paradoxical since it sometimes stresses me.I agree with you 100%, there's always something to change, upgrade, or try out. I think It's the same thing with cars, cooking, and other hobbies. It's something I made so I take more pride in it and makes me enjoy it more. But once the tank is done and packed with coral I'm like, "I need a bigger system so i can do more." Did I just quote myself? Yes. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shaginwagon13
10/08/2017, 04:47 AM
New is all exciting and I get the feeling that some people are disappointed when the build is done, the corals and fish are in, and now it should just be sit back and enjoy but the enjoyment was all in the building of it.

Every new tank and build I try and eliminate all the things and design flaws I hated with my prior setups, and anticipate what I feel I will like best, make the maintenance easier, quieter, have he filtration room out of the way, etc.

Legitimately, there has never ever been a tank where as soon as I was done building, there were already a few ideas where I knew for the next tank, I could improve.

For me, I love everything from the planning, to sourcing materials, to the build. This last tank I had to do some major construction to accommodate what I wanted and how I wanted the tank run. For me, it's a project and it usually takes several years to upgrade to a larger tank after all the planning, construction and build process is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk