PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp Disappeared

animalrie
10/05/2017, 05:28 PM
Wondering when I should give up on my pistol shrimp.

I received him (Candy Cane) and his goby (Wheeler's) from LiveAquaria last week, so per their 14 day guarantee, I need to contact them before next Tuesday if he's truly dead. When I introduced them to the tank, he immediately started digging his home. He did this for almost a week before disappearing.

He's been AWOL for 4 days now. I've heard no clicking at night or during the day. His goby is still hanging out by/in the burrow. Could he be molting (with no clicking)? Or is he most likely dead? :hmm2:

Thanks!

ReeferNoob4ever
10/05/2017, 05:36 PM
This may just be me but I have never personally had a shrimp 'hide' when it's molting. Currently my banded coral shrimp won't accept food right before it molts. I notice my crabs hide when they molt. Anytime I don't see an inhabitant for more than 5 days I figure they are dead but then again I have gone weeks without seeing my emerald crab (in a 20 gallon tank!) and sometimes my red bali star will find a nice spot under a rock for a week or so. Depending on the size of your tank I can usually smell if something has died in mine.

Tcox
10/05/2017, 05:38 PM
In my experience, they are very reclusive. It is likely that he is fine and just adjusting to his new environment. It’s not uncommon for a molt to take place when introduced to a new system. How big of a tank is it? If your tank is small enough you could monitor ammonia to see if you have a spike.

animalrie
10/05/2017, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas! It's a 24 gallon tank, so I'll keep an eye on the ammonia. I'm just surprised I've not heard him (more so than not seeing him) for the past 4 days.

xCry0x
10/06/2017, 12:23 AM
Depends on the rock work you have, I can go weeks without seeing mine based on where it feels like excavating.

I keep thinking it is dead then randomly one day there it is clearing out the tunnel entrance in the front of the tank.