PDA

View Full Version : Identification help

NCreefer73
10/05/2017, 06:11 PM
Figured someone on here could help identify these things the start of as little white specs and grow into the little stalks 380697380698

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xCry0x
10/05/2017, 06:19 PM
They look like vermetid snails.

When you feed the tank do they have little stringy stuff come out of them?

NCreefer73
10/05/2017, 06:22 PM
Not noticed when feeding but when cleaning and stirring up the tank they do

xCry0x
10/05/2017, 06:25 PM
Yea, sounds and looks like vermetid snails then.

I killed mine by squirting kalk paste into their tubes.. iirc. That or epoxy. That must have been one pest I got lucky with, got rid of them pretty easily.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647854 - there is a recent thread on the topic.

mcgyvr
10/06/2017, 04:37 AM
I see 2 different creatures..
Pic 1 shows spirorbid worms (harmless and normal in a tank)
Pic 2 shows vermetid snails (usually harmless and normal but their mucus web can disturb some corals on occasion)

FYI.. Its best to turn the blue channel of lights off or way down when taking ID pictures.. It helps to provide better color rendition and can help with focus..

and here.. bookmark this for your future use..
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

NCreefer73
10/06/2017, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all the helpful reply’s. These things came in on a frag plug, I scraped them off with a knife and dipped but 3 months later there all over my frag tank thankfully caught this before placing them in my new tank but now all my frags that are suppose to be going into my new tank have these on them and I feel simply scraping them off will not eliminate them . Do they start out at a microscopic level before visually seeing them ?

mcgyvr
10/06/2017, 07:24 AM
There is no need to do anything for spirorbid worms..They are beneficial and should be left alone..

If you want to go after the vermetids thats fine and you can remove/crush/cover with glue,etc..
Tons of topics on attempted removal methods for vermetids..