PDA

View Full Version : Salt Mixing and RODI setup - Ace Roto vs. Norwesco

jbsengineer
10/05/2017, 07:42 PM
Good evening. I'm still in my infancy of getting a reef stetup and I'm looking to start a good salt mixing/rodi setup first. I have a 6 stage RODI setup ordered from BRS. I'm now comparing ordering 2x55gallon Ace Roto Mold vertical containers or picking up locally 2x65gallon Norwesco containers.

https://www.ntotank.com/55gallon-acerotomold-white-heavyduty-vertical-storage-tank-x5805608

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/liquid-storage-tank-65-gal-2120377

Shipping kills on the ACE Roto Mold. So either direction I'm looking around $400 for either the 2 Ace's or 2 Norweco's (after shipping or local pickup for Norweco).

My question is would I notice a difference in quality that I would care? My number one priority would be not to have anything leaching from the plastics that would cause my RODI water to have more TDS.

My DT with be 160g. Maybe a frag tank or two later on....

Any advice is good advice. Thanks everyone!

SFish
10/06/2017, 12:17 AM
Brute trash cans will cost you a lot less and you can get them from a local hardware store (about $50 to $60 for a 55gal).

Indyws6
10/06/2017, 03:57 AM
I use two ~45G salt tanks that are manufactured for water softeners (one for RO/DI and the other for salt mix). They were slightly less costly than either of the options you show. They don't come with bulkhead fittings, but for about $10 each, I made my own using a combination of PVC plumbing parts from Lowe's. The best part is that they have float valves already installed and it's a breeze to plumb straight into them from the RO/DI system. Works well for me...

RWEngineer
10/06/2017, 06:33 AM
Rural King had free shipping on the 55 gallon tanks I purchased.

McPuff
10/06/2017, 08:46 AM
I have the 65 gallon Norwesco vertical storage tank for RO storage. I really love it. Also have a smaller 35 gal horizontal tank for SW. I picked them up "locally" while I was in Wisconsin. I don't think there's any different between Ace Roto Mold and Norwesco. Just get the size you need. I doubt you'll regret it.

Gorgok
10/07/2017, 02:03 AM
Brute trash cans will cost you a lot less and you can get them from a local hardware store (about $50 to $60 for a 55gal).

You can also get them shipped with prime from amazon in a range of colors. Not quite RGB yet though... maybe soon (though technically you can get them in R G and B).

SFish
10/08/2017, 01:47 AM
You can also get them shipped with prime from amazon in a range of colors. Not quite RGB yet though... maybe soon (though technically you can get them in R G and B).

My point is there is no way I'm spending $400 on containers. I would rather spend that money on fish and coral. I got two 55 gallon drums from a guy that works at a soda manufacturer for $20 each. There's just no way I could justify that kind of money on a container to hold water but that's just me.

tkeracer619
10/08/2017, 11:01 PM
I have two Ace Roto Mold 200gal tanks. Go with whatever has the larger opening and works for you.

Surely you can find them locally. Farm supply, construction supply, construction rental places sometimes sell them. Ace Rotomold makes a lot of tanks here in colorado but they don't make the size I needed. I found them in a dirt lot owned by a construction equipment rental company. They sold them as well because often construction needs to store liquids.

shifty51008
10/19/2017, 01:50 AM
sad part is I live 7 miles away from ACE roto mold but they don't allow for local pick-up so I would be stuck paying shipping no matter what.