PDA

View Full Version : Cheato for new setup

devildog999
10/06/2017, 06:38 AM
Morning,

Currently cycling a 50g tank for a Seahorse setup; been cycling for 4 weeks today. Still sitting at about .25 for ammonia and not in any rush for the cycle to be done but I would like to add some Chaeto to my sump so I can start getting a pod population going. Not really worried about the Chaeto with that ammonia level but anyone have any ideas as to how this will effect pods? Should I wait til 0 for pods or is it okay now?

Thank you all

Anotherplanet
10/06/2017, 06:49 AM
Iíve found pods to be extremely resilient to a variety of water conditions. I grow them in a bucket with just a little heat and air. I add algae paste often, so I imagine the water quality is not the best. However, itís worth noting that getting a pod population going in a new setup can be a little difficult at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anotherplanet
10/06/2017, 06:52 AM
I also wanted to mention that in order to make sure your tank is fully cycled, your ammonia level should reach 0 and then you should cause another ammonia spike and see if it drops back to zero in 12 to 24hrs. Thatís means the ammonia is being broke down and your tank is cycled. You can always add a few drops of ammonia chloride.

devildog999
10/06/2017, 07:37 AM
Appreciate the input on the pods. As for the cycle, no worries there, done this part a couple times. Waiting for the first drop to 0 still. Probably gonna take another couple weeks at least. I only went with seeded sand this go around; no live rock because this is gonna be a Seahorse tank and I wanna avoid as many issues as possible.

I also wanted to mention that in order to make sure your tank is fully cycled, your ammonia level should reach 0 and then you should cause another ammonia spike and see if it drops back to zero in 12 to 24hrs. Thatís means the ammonia is being broke down and your tank is cycled. You can always add a few drops of ammonia chloride.

mcgyvr
10/06/2017, 08:12 AM
FYI...The .25 maybe inaccuracy/false reading in the test kit..

API test kit?
Seems to be commonly reported with that brand..

devildog999
10/06/2017, 02:59 PM
It is indeed. Cannot find my Red Sea kits so gonna have to buy some new ones but was waiting until the cycle was done.

FYI...The .25 maybe inaccuracy/false reading in the test kit..

API test kit?
Seems to be commonly reported with that brand..

Tcox
10/06/2017, 03:45 PM
My api kits would always show .25 ammonia when it was indeed 0 ammonia. I would venture to say your initial cycle likely over!

Lsufan
10/06/2017, 05:51 PM
That is very common with API test kits. At the point u are at in your cycle I usually pay more attention to nitrite anyways. Once it zeros out u should get a spike in nitrate & that is when I usually do a water change & consider the cycle complete.

I think most pods will be ok at this point. They may not take a really high ammonia spike well, but u are past that point & I think they will be fine.