PDA

View Full Version : Triton and mechanical filtration

Gary Majchrzak
10/06/2017, 07:27 AM
Mechanical filtration not recommended when using the Triton method.
Why?
Filter "socks" are the most common method of mechanical filtration in most home reef aquaria.
What does mechanical filtration remove that is so crucial to Triton method?
Macroalgae utilizes large particulate matter?
Pax Bellum users feel free to weigh in!

Twinfallz
10/08/2017, 07:27 PM
They might consider that the skimmer removes enough particulates. The recommended turn over is minimum 10 x tank volume, so the volumn of particulates running past the skimmer is high. Also, in this case, the particulates are seperated from the tank water rather than sitting in a sock in the water. Any particulates not caught can be consumed by the tank critters, breaking them down into inorganic nutrients to feed the algae.

Twinfallz
10/08/2017, 08:23 PM
Quote Triton - "Triton does not recommended the use of filter socks/floss as they remove benificial ingredients that algae require.
Any detritus that builds can be removed as and when required"

https://www.*********.com/attachments/guide-to-the-triton-method-5-4-17-web-4-jpg.505975/

bif24701
10/08/2017, 10:04 PM
I have removed filter socks because my chaeto has brought my PO4 from .10 all the way to 0.00 on my Hanna ULR Checker, I am amazed. Use a powerful LED grow light and lots of flow through the chaeto and I'm now harvesting a overflowing 5 gallon bucket every 2 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tastyfish
10/09/2017, 01:06 AM
Triton recommend not using filter socks as these do catch and remove not only detritus which the algae use to thrive,but also catch pods and other small organisms that benefit the tank as a whole.

That said, many triton users do run socks, floss or roller mats.

I removed my filter socks after running them for 6 months and had a significant positive impact on algae growth. I’m not sure if the reason for this was the increased flow or the fact that the algae can use the detritus.

FirstContact
10/19/2017, 07:55 PM
I like filter socks. I just dismantled my upstream refugium. I’ve been using Fauna Marin Bacto Balls, SeaChem, and ProdiBio cleaners.